2001 GMC Jimmy - Perhaps someone has an idea ? ALL COMMENTS WELCOME THX

Hi all..
I bought a new 2001 GMC Jimmy 4WD in Nov 2000. Today, it still only has 23000 miles on it. This vehicle has had continuing electyrical problems from new as follows:
1. Going over even a small bump (aka even a slight "crack in the road" as SLOW speed (1 mph) may cause ALL of the dash warning lamps to come on....for about 10 seconds ...exactly in the manner as they appear when the vehicle is started. This does NOT cause the engine to stall.
It would seem (to me) to indicate an intermittant connection feeding power to the computer...which likely controls the sequence of lights at startup. A very short power interruption...long enoughjt to trigger the diag-sequcne, not long enough for the engine to stops.
IDEAS?
2. Problem 2 (may or not be related)....On June 5l of this year, one morning the vehicle started, but as soon as I let got of the key, a few seconds later it stalled. This repeated 10-12 times. Finally, I managed to keep it going, then it seemed ok. Made an appointment for service for the next day, but after driving about 10 miles (3 stops) I came to a traffic light and the engine at about 10 mph speed) stopped. At that moment, I had ZERO electrical power, so I could not even use the e. flashers, or even move the shifte (A/T) to remove my KEY!
No chance...the dealer (4 miles away) refused to tow the car (!!!!!) or even call GM road-side assistance. Finally, the police came along and called a tow which cost $100- and should have been freee via GM! The dealer is still fighting about paying for this!
In any case, the battery was dead...they replaced the alternator (the second replacement in 23K miles!).
The car drove ok for 400 miles (2 weeks). On June 24, the car started normally in the AM. I drove about 8 miles, with about 4 stops. ON trying to start (5th start of the day), the car started, but as soon as I released the key it quickly stumbled and died. This repeated 5 more times, including once when while the negine was running, all warning lamps came (as per usual start sequence).
Finally...I gave up and had the car towed back to the dealer again. Of coursem, this took a few hours and by then the vehicle started ok!!!!!!!!
ANY IDEAS.............
Thanks for help, comments etc.
Ignition switch out of adjustment or going bad.
--
Pacifism - The theory that if they'd fed
Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh,

This sounds suspiciously like a power problem (ok, maybe we all firgured that out). Sounds like there's a bad ground somewhere in the system. Fortunately for you, the problem is documented in warranty, so if it happens out of warranty you have a better chance of getting GM to fix it. Tell the dealer they need to put their best electrical tech on the case and you will NOT take the vehicle back till they can provide an EXACT cause of the problem, and can honestly tell you they fixed it this time....

Dealer not towing or coming to get it under warranty??? What a deal. That bothers me.

How about asking to invoke the lemon law? If it's been back to the dealer 3 times (I think) and the problem still isn't resolved, you have recourse there. GM will offer a buyback at that point, avoiding tagging the vehicle as a lemon, and then probably turn the vehicle around, fix it and sell it. Find a lemon law attourney, explain what's been going on and ask if you have that course of action available.

The other reader is likely correct....I'm limited by approx 2 years on the lemon law, plus as I recall, it's got a few other "gotchas" in it.
It's my opinion that the problem is actually, from a technical standpoint, pretty minor and likely rather easily solved with a little effort by a good GM mechanic and the backing of a dealrship that actually cares about customers.
Of course, at the moment I'm missing BOTH of those needs.
But, I'm not done quite yet, and as I'm semi-retired (and my wife has a new Nissan), this situation is much more "workable" than a few months ago when I was still a "working dude". I've got until November 2003 and also up to 13K miles on the warranty.
So...I can invest a little time and effort and see what I can do...GM Customer assistance will back my going to another dealer for warranty work; but I'll have to see how that plays-out. Since the local Chevy dealer (after all a jimmy is 99% a Blazer anyway)) seems to be a strong competitor of the GMC dealer...so perhaps a visit and discussion with the Chevy Dealer service Mgr will yeild some better assistance.
Over the last 20 years I've had a few still in-warrnty cars that had wacky electrical problems....and unfortunately, despite very cooperative dealers (1 Honda, one Toyota) they never did fix these intermittant problems (all requiring a tow every few weeks to months...at their expense. But- at least they really were cooperative and tried...and supplied a loaner. On the other hand, GMC and the dealer have been, well, less than helpful.
As a side story, after 16 months of trouble with the (bought new) Honda, the car was totalled (no injuries) while stopped at a light....so Allstate "fixed" that car. The Toyota was "fixed" by a nice car thief.......Now, that's an idea!!!!!!!!!!
================================================On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:03:55 GMT, "Mike Levy A+, N+, MCP"