2001 Impala Passlock questions

My 2001 Impala is having problem starting. Most of time, have to turn the key 4-5 times before getting the car started, and the Security light stays
on for a while or the whole trip. It seems temperature and moisture relevant. After a car wash, started the car with dozens of tries. Checked on web, seems sure it's passlock problem. The system must be bypassed when installing remote starter. There are some DIY info on how to disable it. I'm ok with the electronic job, but handling panel pieces around the key hole is scary.
I'm thinking of getting a remote starter. Is it worthwhile? Getting the passlock fixed by dealer will cost a lot more, right?
Thanks! John