2001 Impala play in steering

I've not messed with rack and pinion before, is there any adjustment to it? There seems to be some play where the steering shaft enters the rack and
pinion unit, I can turn the wheel a bit each way with no movement of the wheels and have a little up and down play in the shaft. Maybe a bearing at the top that can be replaced or are these non serviceable?
Not a tie rod end or inner tie rod? Is the play right where the stub shaft enters the rack, was the engine running when you checked this ?

-
Shep wrote:

Yes, its right where the stub shaft enters the rack and the engine was running. I can turn the shaft a bit side to side and the tie rods don't move at all.
Some play is normal, and may actually be needed to allow a power steering valve to operate properly. Often, a pressure pad presses against the rack to reduce the effect that normal play has. This pad has adjustable pressure on some designs. The tires will eventually cup if there is too much play and the rack is too free to move. Mazda had this problem with early models of the MPV van. The cupping occurred more frequently on vans with very good alignments than those with poor alignment.

Chuck wrote:

This is more play than it used to have, feels like the old Ford trucks from the 70's where you have bump the wheel back and forth driving down a straight road.
There is a Technical Service Bulletin on this condition...you may also be noticing a slight, slight clicking on left slow turns... Go to the dealer and ask them to perform the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) which involves a lubrication kit for the Intermediate Steering Shaft...You probably need to do this about every 2 years depending on how much driving you do... Good luck, Steve