2001 Impala - Service Light

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a bit, and I'm learning lots of interesting stuff. Thanks to all!

Anyway, I own a 2001 Impala, but I didn't receive an Owner's Manual. I am now experiencing a "Service Icon" which depicts an oil can over a wrench. What does this mean?

I'm assuming it's just time for an oil change and a tune up, because it only comes on after I start the car, and stays on for about 1 minute or so. There is no warning tone (like when the door is opened in drive or gas is low) when the icon appears.

If you know, or could check a c.2001 GM owner's manual, please help me out! TIA

Cheers, Animal56

Reply to
Animal56

Change the oil. To reset it in the 2002, turn the ignition switch on but do not start the engine. Then quickly press the throttle to the floor three times. The light operates on mileage and you must reset it after each oil change.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveninces attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

Well I'll be damned! That's kinda what I was figuring!

Thanks for the info!

Cheers, Animal56

Reply to
Animal56

I am in Canada. Possibly there is a difference between models. I'm not driving an LS. Are you?

Cheers, Animal56

Reply to
Animal56

Ours is a base model, 3.4L.

Reply to
Me

Reply to
XXXXX

I believe that the light is set to come on between 4000 and 5000 miles in the 2002 Impala (not sure of exact mileage). I've only had it come on once and that was when the dealer forgot to reset it after an oil change (now I do it when I pick the car up after a change, just to be sure). The dealer should be able to get you an owners manual or you could contact Helms to get one (just a guess). I really can't understand why some people remove the manual from the vehicle (and then they usually lose it).

Reply to
Elaine M

I haven't yet, but I've only had it for a month.

I've just put over 5000kms on it, which is the standard for changing the oil on most cars anyway, correct?

Reply to
Animal56

Makes no sense to me. What good is it to you after the car is gone anyway.

The local dealers order through Helms as well, but they won't be placing an order for another month or so, so I have to wait or order it directly.

Thanks for all of the responses!

Cheers, Animal56

Reply to
Animal56

Its not based on any milage amount, its based on engine rpm, tempertaure, time the engine has ran, etc and calculated to when GM feels is a safe amount of time. I wish they had a switch for regular or synthetic though.

Reply to
Me

Reply to
Al Haunts