2001 Impala trouble codes

On the 2001 Impala's, is it still possible to pull the trouble codes, or is it just easier to take it to AutoZone or someplace like that? Needed to get it inspected today and there was a fear that it wouldn't
pass.
Thanks, Gary

You need a code-reader for the newer Impala's, and anything above 1996 if memory serves.
Should pass emissions if the CEL lite isn't on and you did not disconnect the battery in the last 50 miles.

-
That's part of the problem, the check engine light has been on for a few weeks now. The performance and mileage aren't suffering, I have 115K miles and still get ~22 mpg for daily driving and ~28 for straight highway driving. This is one of those procrastination problems as my inspection ran out the first of November.
Thanks, Gary
It can be a emissions related code that will not affect performance but will fail the test.

-
Update ---
Had the codes read tonight and it came up with P1404 -- EGR Pintle Position Voltage Error

appearance that the pintle position has to be recalibrated or the EGR valve replaced.
Question: Is there a way to service the EGR valve and possibly cleanup any gunk from the internals? Is this a replacement or recalibrtion fix only? Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Gary
Shep wrote:

Aah, thanks. Now I can check that on my '01 Impala, and maybe get rid of that pesky light.
-= Larry A.