2001 Lumina Low Coolant Light

My Lumina has plenty of coolant, but the Low Coolant light is on (goes out after ~30 minutes of driving). The car does not overheat.
How is coolant level sensed? Is there a sensor that needs
replacement, or is there a way to reset the system? (already tried the Pump Gas Pedal 3 Times procedure; no change)
Thanks!
Best Regards, Mark Buckles San Diego
My Malibu has a "Float" switch located in expansion tank. It could be gummed up and sticking. It has 2 wires leading to it at expansion tank. Tap it couple of time to free it up!!
Larry
snipped-for-privacy@kram.selkcub.moc wrote in news:ba0np1t72cn29jgjuetc3enhrtluv002gl@ 4ax.com:

if the warning lamp is on and coolant level in RADIATOR is up to neck then the sensor has failed. VERY common prob. for that vintage.......remove battery and you will find sensor located towards top of right hand rad. tank. unclip conn., remove wire retainer around base of sensor, pop old sensor out and QUICKLY install new one....you shouldnt loose more than a couple of tablespoons of coolant if you have your new sensor lubed and ready.......................kjun
I am guessing this is another problem with the junk red coolant that GM uses. My daughters car (1997 Lumina) does the same thing. I'm thinking the thing is just cruded up and needs cleaned off. I know this coolant seems to leave a lot of crud behind.

-
Another really informed consumer. All coolants have crud buildup at 9 tears old. Especially since you probably haven't maintained the cooling system. There is nothing wrong with Dexcool if used and maintained correctly.

Depending on your year, I would bet that your "Temperature Level Coolant Sensor" needs replacment. Lumina's usually have two sensors: A "Temperature Level Collant Sensor" and a Temperature Sensor for the guage. Try replacing that unit and I bet your light will go out.
Thanks,
Paul