2001 Lumina Low Coolant Light

My Lumina has plenty of coolant, but the Low Coolant light is on (goes out after ~30 minutes of driving). The car does not overheat.

How is coolant level sensed? Is there a sensor that needs replacement, or is there a way to reset the system? (already tried the Pump Gas Pedal 3 Times procedure; no change)

Thanks!

Best Regards, Mark Buckles San Diego

Reply to
kram

My Malibu has a "Float" switch located in expansion tank. It could be gummed up and sticking. It has 2 wires leading to it at expansion tank. Tap it couple of time to free it up!!

Larry

Reply to
Larry from N.J.

snipped-for-privacy@kram.selkcub.moc wrote in news:ba0np1t72cn29jgjuetc3enhrtluv002gl@

4ax.com:

if the warning lamp is on and coolant level in RADIATOR is up to neck then the sensor has failed. VERY common prob. for that vintage.......remove battery and you will find sensor located towards top of right hand rad. tank. unclip conn., remove wire retainer around base of sensor, pop old sensor out and QUICKLY install new one....you shouldnt loose more than a couple of tablespoons of coolant if you have your new sensor lubed and ready.......................kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

Reply to
The Adams Family

Another really informed consumer. All coolants have crud buildup at 9 tears old. Especially since you probably haven't maintained the cooling system. There is nothing wrong with Dexcool if used and maintained correctly.

Reply to
Woody

Depending on your year, I would bet that your "Temperature Level Coolant Sensor" needs replacment. Lumina's usually have two sensors: A "Temperature Level Collant Sensor" and a Temperature Sensor for the guage. Try replacing that unit and I bet your light will go out.

Thanks,

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@kram.selkcub.moc wrote:

Reply to