Here's the run down of the situation:
1. Car didn't start - Jumped it and it went 10-12 miles and died at
2. Replaced battery and eventually had to replace positive cables
because they were badly corroded (sp?).
3. Car ran, but battery light came on.
4. Took it to Autozone, whose absent minded (didn't appear to know what
he was doing) clerk "tested" the alternator and said there was no
charge/voltage coming out of it.
5. Purchased a rebuilt alternator and put it on - battery light still
Thing maybe the alternator (rebuilt) could be faulty - but that's a
small chance. With the rebuilt alternator on, and the car running, I
disconected the negative terminal and the engine died.