2001 Malibu Uneven Brake Wear

Hi

I have a Malibu 2001 with 73k on clock. The front brakes and rotors were replaced at 50k approx. I have now noticed that only the outboard pad on the passenger side has wore away considerably to the point that grooves have appeared on the rotor? What gives? Any suggestions for the uneven wear? That car doesn't pull to any side when braking.

I spent a small fortune on Bendix parts because I had read that using the cheaper parts ain't worth the hassle. 25k miles down the road I am needing to fork out another small fortune.

Any thoughts appreciated.

David

Reply to
David

You could have a caliper that's not moving on it's slides. Possibly in a bind causing the pad to stay in contact with the rotor after letting off the brakes.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Sounds to me as though you are getting above average wear on your brakes. Forget about the grooves, how thick is the pad? And make sure you check the inner pad, because it usually wears out about twice as fast as the outer pad on these vehicles.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Perhaps the slides are sticking and you've got an outboard pad sticking on. Check that your caliper slides freely & that your piston moves back into the caliper as it should upon release of hydraulic pressure. It is very rare that friction materials will brake down prematurely resulting in the wear that you're describing. But it is possible.

PS the piston return in the caliper is provided by the piston seal deformation returning to static position. (Fractions of an inch)

Reply to
Full_Name

I agree. That is an unusual wear pattern and the hardware could be the cause. For some reason I end up replacing those slider pins after about two years, even before the pads are worn out. They cost $8+ each last time. There is so little movement there that they have plenty of time to get dirty/rusty. When that section of the slider is needed after some wear, the caliper gets stuck on the crud.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
news

I don't really know why these brakes wear out that way. But every last one that comes in the shop is worn out this way so we assume that it's a quirk of the design. These front calipers don't have many problems with the slider mechanisms, I'd be more likely to suspect a problem with the piston.

We often get vehicles that have been inspected by chain shops and they tell the customer to bring it in to the dealership for warranty because there is something wrong with the calipers. We have to set them straight. I can only imagine how many front calipers are being sold to the consumer out in "aftermarker" land. It would be an easy sell, show the customer the two pads, and bingo...they would think there is a problem with the caliper.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai