2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan - Power Steering Fluid Equivalent

Perhaps this message will help someone who was in my situation...

Our 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan (Premiere) was making a whining sound from the power steering. After checking the reservoir, it appeared the fluid was a little low. The manual calls for GM Power Steering Fluid Part Number 1052884 or 1050017 (pint or quart). Of course, at 5:00pm on a Saturday night, you're not going to find too many dealership parts counters open who are willing to sell you this very "special" power steering flud. So,.. off to Pep Boys for what I thought would be a quick trip for an equivalent product. Guess again. Pep Boys and most other Auto parts stores don't carry this "special" fluid or an equivalent. And to boot, the auto parts stores were "certain" that you can only use the GM product.

The more I contemplated this, the more I realized it's nonsense.

After a little homework, I found the MSDS sheets on the Valvoline site for their Valvoline Synpower Power Steering Fluid and it is perfectly acceptable for this application. This blend is evidently a synthetic power steering fluid. After looking further, there are other choices too.

So, if you are in the same boat, probably with many other GM vehicles, you do have alternatives besides the dealer.

Fill er up !

Reply to
twoplays.25

I plead guilty to even using a bit of STD when the shaft seal was leaking. It quit leaking too.

Reply to
Al Bundy