2001 Pontiac Firebird oil problems

hello, Two days ago I was driving my car down the street when suddenly, the car just died on me and the oil gage went all the way down making the check gages light turn on.
I was able to "drive in" to a gas station and checked to see if i had oil dripping or something like that. There was nothing on the car that showed leaking and there was motor oil when i checked. I turned the car on again and it started but died about 10 seconds later. I went in to buy some motor oil at the gas station and the clerk said i should try once more. I did and this time the car didnt die on me. I was able to drive home without any problems and the oil gage being normal again. Yesterday and today the car was again normal when i drove to the mechanic but it was closed so i did not have it checked but i changed the oil just in case. I have no clue on what might have happened and i would appreciate it if anyone here could help.
Thanks.

If the car died, the oil gauge will drop to zero. You only have oil pressure when the engine is running.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Splot wrote:

When the engine is not running there is no oil pressure.