2001 PT Cruiser dies at start up

Hello,
My PT Cruiser seems to start and then dies immediately. Tried flooding maneovers, but that didn't work. Did not smell any fuel, btw. [mileage is about 21,000]
*********Val

Actually Val, the PT Cruiser died at birth! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Val, it is probably either a shot fuel pump or faulty wiring at the ignition switch. Probably the latter, since it starts and then dies immediately. It sounds like the ignition is energizing while the starter is turning, but then loses connectivity when you lay off the starter. Do you get any "Service Engine Soon" warnings?
Thanks. I haven't seen that warning, but two other keys can run the car.
It is a funny sort of body design. Just parked too close to the curb and found out the hard way.

The security chip in the one key has gone bad if the car runs fine with the two other keys.

Retro, for sure. But you see the things everywhere!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.autos.gm

Way back when, before the era of computerized controls, Chrysler used a slightly different method of wiring the ignition circuitry. They put the ballast resistor out in the open, everyone else uses a resistor in the coil. From what I have seen they still do this. When the key is in the start postion, the resistor is bypassed. When the resistor goes bad, the engine will start, but die as soon as you put the key in the run position. It should be on the fire wall, or the fender, IIRC.
--
Dick #1349
Thank you for this valuable idea. Now, strangely, I found that the car will start fine with the other keys, but the third one causes this weird half start. I wonder if there's a code missing or something.

Don't use the third key.
HTH. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Yep, the transponder security chip has gone bad in the one key.