2001 Saturn SL1

Hi All,
I am looking to make a real sleeper out of a 2001 Saturn SL1 and would like to know what is the most powerfull engine that can fit?
TIA, James

Well, what I've heard is if you can find the motor mounts and frame rails, you can cram in a Bonneville SSEI Supercharged 3.8, but that would take a lot of labor and custom work, may as well just buy a camaro... but that's just me.
The Freak
Are you refering to the GM 3800 series II?
Thanks, James

Instead of trying to make the Saturn into something other than a grocery getter/commuter, I'd buy a frame, shore it up with nice brakes, install a souped up 327ci,350ci, or 454ci. Mount a fiberglass '55 Chevy body on it with tilting one piece front end. Weld in a rollcage. Paint it black. Have fun.
-
grappletech wrote:

Hmmm... That sounds exactly like what a friend in Ohio once had. Do you live in northern Ohio?
"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q??=" <" =?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q??="@houston.rr.com> wrote in

Small world, I live in Eastern Ohio (for now) with my wife who is from here (I am from CA though), but I don't own a '55 Chevy. I was just describing the car I want to build soon -- '55 Chevy. I've loved '55's ever since watching the classic 1971 film, 2 Lane Blacktop. Ever see that film? Dennis Wilson (from the Beach Boys) plays a Mechanic. James Taylor (the singer) plays the Driver. Best car film EVER (in my opinion). The driver and mechanic drive across country racing hot rodders for money. They drive a '55 Chevy post 2 door. It's real cool. It's primer colored -- no paint. Has a tilting fiberglass front end. Cragar mags. Roll cage. 454ci with high riser carbs, custom headers, etc.. The first car they race in the opening scene is a 1970 Plymouth Hemicuda. They race other muscle cars throughout the film (this film was made in 1970 afterall--golden age for American muscle cars). They race a '62(?) Stingray Vette, a Model A hot rod with a 427ci, an El Camino SS 454, a Dodge Charger, etc.. Then another guy comes along (played by Warren Oates) who's driving a brand new 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge with the 455 Super Duty. GTO (the characters have no proper names) challeneges the 2 boys to a race across country. '55 Chevy versus the Goat. Cool, cool film. A must see for any car nut. A lot of people don't like the film because it's very existentialist and sparse, plot is mostly focused on cars. If they want a twisting and turning plot, they oughta watch a friggin' soap opera. This is one bad ass car movie.
http://kathyschrock.net/graffiti/55.htm
-
grappletech wrote:

Good link - Thanks! I'll rent the movie soon: Two Lane Blacktop Trailer: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0067893/trailers-screenplay-E12986-10-2
Someuser wrote:

A stock Chevy LS-7 is pretty nice at 505 hp and 470 ft.lbs. torque.