2001 Sonoma, engine revs high

Occassionally when I depress clutch or put manual trans. in neutral the engine will rev to 3000 for 5 seconds then it will will idle down to normal. It will continue to do this at each stop until I turn ignition
off. Usually after restarting it will act normal. Sometimes happens weekly and sometimes daily.