2002 century Fuel gauge Pump ?

A relative has a 2002 century, out of warranty. It has a malfunctioning fuel gauge, andthe dealer says the problem is the Pump/Module. Supposedly it is a sender, pump unit in one.

Q1 I this correct or is there a seperate unit for gauge / pump? Q2 Is there an access point in the trunk, or under rear seat to remove the pump or does it require the tank to be dropped? Q3 The dealer wants $600.00 to replace it. Is this reasonable. Has anyone bought this item and done the repair themselves?

Any helpful advice appreciated.

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe,

The tank has to be dropped to R &R the fuel pump. This sounds about like what a dealer would charge.

I replaced my fuel pump at 250,000 miles. Naturally you can expect the dealer to be charging list price for the parts.

These were the list prices for the parts for my Bonneville's fuel pump job back in 2003.

Pump $143 Sending Unit $347 Strainer ( internal filter sock ) $18 Gas Filter ( external ) $16

You can see how it all adds up + the guy that did the job took about 90 minutes.

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,525 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Actually, the tank does NOT have to be dropped on his Century. There is a removable access panel under the carpeting in the trunk. The fuel level sensor is available seperately from the modular fuel sender assembly at a list price of $147.31. Published labor time is one hour to replace the fuel level sensor. He should be paying between $200-250 for ths job, not $600.

Some vehicles also required software upgrades to the PCM and/or instrument cluster to resolve a malfunctioning fuel gauge, but I believe that was earlier year models. Hopefully, the dealer would have been aware of this during the repair procedure. Then again it appears they are charging over three times too much for this job or they are ordering the entire modular fuel sender assembly and charging about $150 too much for labor.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Roger Tahnks for the information I will try t get some time to pull it apart. dropping the tank was the only worry I had. I will check with the dealer to see if there might be a software issue before the repair though.

That software thing might sync up with the "low coolant" light which came on about the same time and is obviously inaccuarte since the coolant level is fine!

Reply to
John Doe

Coincidental. The coolant float gets stuck in the down position because in the recent past the coolant level was low. Or the wire has low continuity.

Reply to
« Paul »

I believe the coolant level sensor in this vehicle is conductive rather than the float type. It is also located in the radiator as opposed to the overflow reservoir. I have heard mention of these conductive sensors becoming corroded due to low coolant levels or other cooling system neglect causing false indications.

I agree that it's concidental with the fuel gauge problem. I'm not aware of any software issues in the cluster that would affect the operation of the LOW COOLANT indicator. The only software revisions I'm aware of in the W-Body clusters have to do with innacurate fuel level readings and some clusters randomly gaining small amounts of mileage during a battery disconnect/reconnect cycle.

The coolant level sensor and warning indicators were removed from the Century and Regal recently to save a few bucks, but I can't remember the exact year right off hand without looking up the information. Obviously, it wasn't your 2002 if you have LOW COOLANT warning indicator on. Then again, there have been issues recently with some Ford vehicles illuminating warning indicators for ABS and traction control when the vehicle was never equipped with such systems. Anything is possible.

Interesting is GM's newest method of detecting low coolant without the use of a float or conductive sensor. The PCM contains software to compare coolant temperature sensor readings with a preprogrammed values to determine if there is a problem with coolant level or flow.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Good bit of info Roger. I forgot about the conductive sensor. I had not heard about the new way to compute coolant level. Thanks.

Roger Maxwell wrote:

in message

Reply to
« Paul »

Roger & Paul Thanks for all the info. I will get into it later this week. Probably saturday. The dealer quoted something like 70 bucks to chage the coolant sensor in the rad, and about

Reply to
John Doe

The labor rate sounds typical, however, the coolant level module is overpriced. It's not actually bimetal, I believe it simply contains a couple of exposed conductors and the PCM measures current flow through the coolant to determine whether or not coolant is present at the level of the sensor. GM list price on the "coolant level module" is $50.15. You can buy it yourself online for $35 or less.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Roger / Paul I got the coolant sensor out and it was gunked up somewhat so Upon cleaning it and reinstalling it, the problem went away. I am still looking into the fuel sensor or module. The access panel IS in the trunk and there were no external wiring issues is as far as I have gotten.

Will have to call the local dealers to try to get a part# on the sensor since they wanted to do the whole thing.

Thanks for your "dead on" help

Roger Maxwell wrote:

Reply to
John Doe