2002 Chevy Venture Breaks

I am new to the auto repair world - I need to get some new breaks on a 2002 Chevy Venture Van. I am calling around and places do not seem to want to give an est without seening the car which means pulling the
weels off, right? which means I have to drive their just for a quote to see if I am getting a good price - anyone have some ball park values on this type of work??
I am in central New Jersey from what I know - the front needs new pads and turn the roaters
Thanks Randy

If you need a break, stop at a coffee shop. If you need brakes, stop at a good mechanic.
Don't bother with the big chains if you want a good job at a fair price. Many years ago I asked for a price at Sears and was given a very high price that included "everything" I said I only needed pads, but they won't do just pads. It was all or nothing.
If all you need is pads, figure about $100, parts and labor. The potential problem is the rotors. They may or may not be turned. Some of the new ones are so thin and warp so easily, you just toss them and spend about $150 for a new set, plus a few bucks labor. Only when the wheels are off can they tell if the calipers are OK. Given the age, they may not be operating so smooth and will have to be disassembled and cleaned or rebuilt. So, you see we can be over $300 per axle easily.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

notrubr wrote:

You need to find a good independent mechanic you can trust. Ask your friends, family, co-workers and such for references. If you are not going to take on being a do-it-yourself person then you absolutely need a reliable place to take your vehicle and where you become a regular customer. Then they will get to know you and your vehicle and can do a good job for you.
Do not waste your time and money playing games with the big chains (Pep Boys, Sears, etc.) It is very rare to find the best and brightest mechanics working there.
The only other option is to find a trustworthy GM dealer. The price will be a little higher, but the work should get done right. Maybe 1 in 10 dealers is up to par IMO, so again check around.
Nobody can tell you what work your vehicle brakes need without looking at them.
John