2002 Chevy Venture Engine Noise

Hi All..

Anyone else out there going through the frustration of trying to get GM to do something about the knocking noise on cold start-up of these vehicles? Determined it is indeed piston slap but am not satisfied with the answer that it's "normal" for these types of engines. Seems to be getting progressively worse. I'm interested in touching-base with anyone who is going through this now. Email me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

It happened to me with a 2001 Malibu.

The slapping lasted for over 5 minutes, and they deemed it necessary to repair it.

The original plan was to simply replace the pistons. Once the engine was torn down, they discovered that two of the cylinder walls were damaged and the whole engine had to be replaced.

I live in Canada, and GM Canada is (or was?) better at dealing with this problem than GM in the states.

I spoke to a local tech and he said that GM now considers 15 to 20 minutes of slapping normal. If that's the case, the 2003 that I have now (which has started to slap at just over 20,000 kms) will be my last after almost 20 years of GM ownership.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

I've got the same damn noise. It seems that it was always there to a slight degree but nowadays the sucker is really loud for the first few minute. If anyone has any luck getting GM to fix it, please post.

Reply to
good guy

I've got the same damn noise. It seems that it was always there to a slight degree but nowadays the sucker is really loud for the first few minute. If anyone has any luck getting GM to fix it, please post.

Reply to
good guy

It is probably piston slap which seems to be common in a lot of engines these days... It is difficult to make any judgment with no information but noise.

Reply to
Woody