2002 Grand Am refuses to cooperate

Greetings, Thank you in advance for any help provided. There is a wealth of knowledge here. I just spent 2 days helping a buddy change the head in his 2002 Grand
Am (2.2L). First overhead cam motor (dual at that) I had done. Everything on that car seems difficult, but we made it. The actual instalation of the timing chain was done by a mechanic (used a self help garage on an army post). The red links and green links were on the crankshaft sprocket dot and the intake and exhaust marks, #1 was tdc, etc. Anyway, followed book and done by mechanic, so to my knowledge, it is correct. The rest, of course, is just putting stuff back together and can't get it too wrong. Long story short, it will not start. Cranks just fine but no starting. The only thing I could see is when the top rail where the plug boots are connected is installed, the boots do not seem to be sliding over the plugs (when it is removed again, it just comes off (actually is pushed up as the bolts are removed), no "thuke" like when the boots come off the plugs). By the way, what was so wrng with plug wires, etc. that they came up with this setup? Whole motor, as I said, seems goofy. Think all connections were hooked back up, etc. Will be rechecking tomorrow. Fuel is getting to the fuel rail (pressure in the relief valve), but no idea after that (ie injectors). The "security" light goes off after trying to start so should not be passlock. I'm stumped. Again, thanks for helping us do it yourselfers when we are stumped. Truly appreciated. Chris

Are you getting spark?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

'Goofy'?......thats one of the kindest adj. ive seen used for the famous quad4, GM's answer for DIY grease monkeys!........starting fluid to isolate fuel/spark question..... to visualy check for spark: remove top cover and lay side ways, install spark boot adapters, put spark plugs in adapters and ground plug housing. crank and watch for hot and steady spark pattern.....check compression while you got the plugs out........
KjunRaven wrote:

Quad 4? The OP is talking about an Ecotec engine. Totally different beast.
Ian