2002 Grand Prix with 3.1 litre Engine

My son has the opportunity to buy a 2002 Grand Prix with the 3.1 Litre engine at a good price. I started it from cold and there's no piston slap noise. My question to Ian, Harry and others who know the
answer.........Has the intake manifold gasket been updated for 2002? The dealer tells me that the 3.1 litre in the Malibu gives more problems with the intake manifold gasket than the 3.1 litre in the Grand Prix. I thought it's an identical engine made in the same plant.
On 9 Oct 2003 18:41:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Solomon Darcus) wrote:

starting in November 2002 onwards.

You know, I have 2 3.1L V6's dating Dec 90, and the other early 94. Neither have the intake leak problem others have. The 90 is way over 220k miles, the 94 is turn 156k.

"Solomon Darcus" wrote

What Brad said.

By dealer....do you mean the service advisor, or the girls at the front counter? It must have been some one that wasn't particularly knowledgeable as the engines in those two cars are identical. Probably what they meant to say was that they see more intake leaks in Malibu's because there were more of them sold and running around then the Grand Prix with a 3.1 engine. The Malibu only comes with the 3.1, but the Grand Prix is usually sold with the 3.8. It does come with the 3.1, but I'd bet that a small minority of Grand Prix's actually were sold with the 3.1.
Ian
Thanks Ian. By dealer I meant Salesperson. I too think it's a perception thing. There are so many 3.1 litre engines in Malibus (and Centurys) compared to the few found in newer Grand Prix models. Solomon.

Should the 3.4L have been the choice engine for the base model GP's instead of the 3.1? Pontiac has some wierd engine choices, like the Grand Am in 02 had a choice between the 2.2L motor and the 3.4 For the GT.