2002 Park Avenue power seats

This PA has power seats, and the controls are near the floor on the side of the seat. One control runs the seat backwards and forwards. One control runs the front of the seat up and down. The other end of the same control runs the back of the seat up and down. Another control pivots the seat back forwards and backwards, etc. One set of controls for the driver and another set for the passenger.

On the driver seat, there is one motor that runs the front of the seat and one that runs the back of the seat. When the control is pushed in the correct direction, the motor or combination of motors will sound, but nothing moves. It almost acts like the motors are jammed or in a conflict and pushing against one another. There is a good deal of light grease on the threaded screw drive. There is no foreign object that is an obstruction.

These seat controls are connected to a memory module, but that is not directly involved here.

I checked out the electrical schematic, but it doesn't help much. The correct controls are going to the correct motors. The troubleshooting procedure describes what to do to isolate a problem if the correct control does not work the motor, but it doesn't mention what to do if the motor sounds off but doesn't move.

My only guess is to disconnect one of the two opposing motors, either to the front or to the back, and then hit the control to run them both. That might unlock some kind of locked condition. Then I'll reconnect.

Any other ideas, before I tear into it? It's kind of hard to work underneath the driver's seat. Not much elbow room.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

I never actually worked on a power seat mechanism, but I've have removed the power leg track off mine driverside seat several times when I was swapping seats with the passenger side and from another junkyard seat. ( I may go thought this again real soon, the driver seat is killing my back ! ).

On mine there are two or three, what look like heavy plastic coated ( what I think is ) drive cables going from the right side to the left side. Perhaps one of those disconnected from whatever it attaches to.

I seem to remember them having what looked like squeeze type connector on them. Maybe something popped off of something.

Kind of funny if the screw jacks are turning, then the seat should go up & down, unless the threaded portion in the leg track is spinning around with the screw jack. But then you would think there would be grinding or scraping sounds.

Hope this helps.

Careful the side airbag don't blow up in your face - might want to disable it ( if possible, to work on the seat ).

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,824 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face