2002 Pontiac Sunfire Steering Wheel

Outer covering and inner foam have separated from the internal steel (wire) frame in one area. Wheel feels funny in this area and in an emergency may be a safety hazard. Same thing happened when car was new
(33,000mi) and was replaced by GM under warranty. Now, 5yrs later, car has 83,000mi and GM wants nothing to do with fixing the problem. Wheel should be replaced but dealer wants $450.
Is there any kind of repair I could make to re-bond the inner metal frame to the outer covering? Same wheel as Cavalier. Concerned about getting a junk yard replacement wheel since it seems this is a common failure and because it requires working with the air bag.
TIA,
Larry

I personally wouldnt diddle with GM oem parts in this case. I would go aftermarket and find a wheel that I liked, and could easily adapt to the car.
I think you are wasting your time trying to rebond the frame and cover.

you sure you can unplug it without deploying the airbag? On the new steering wheel, will the new airbag be connected and be able to deploy in the case of an accident?
--
Clive

wrote in message news:i37jpm$mk9

The manufacturer of an aftermarket wheel should be very clear on those issues. I havent had any serious interest in aftermarket wheels in a long time, but I think your question is a good one.
My concern with a wrecking yard wheel would be that you might get more of the same, but if you check them out carefully, you could get a good wheel at a low price with known compatibility.
hls wrote:

There are no aftermarket steering wheels that have airbags that I know of because of the cost of making and testing each design for each make and model of vehicle. It's also a violation of federal law to remove an airbag equipped wheel and replace it with one that doesn't have an air bag.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
wrote in message news:i37jpm$mk9

Good point. Enough said on that point
Larry W wrote:

Weird failure. Only ones I have seen that came apart like that were from chemical exposure or mechanical from folks using the wheel as a hand grip getting in/out of the vehicle.
I doubt you would have any luck with glues or the like. You would have to find something that doesn't damage the foam and will bond to the steel.
I would either get a wheel out of a wrecked vehicle that will work (most GM wheels are interchangeable and one that is the same size and depth will work.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)