2002 Sonoma not starting.

I'm the third owned on this fairly well-taken-care of 2002 Sonoma SLS, but it's got a problem.
About a month ago, I took it out to the store at night to get
something, and it had trouble starting. At the time I attributed it to the fact that it was really cold outside. It'd fire up normally, drive for a bit, and then try to stall out and die. It did die twice on the way to the store, but made it there. When I came out from the store it would not start at all; it had lights and the radio and everything worked just dandy, it just refused to turn over, at all.
Longer story short, we had to tow it home, and my dad had me try to turn it over for him and he says the timing chain is out.
The first owner (not person where I got it from) did what looked like pretty good maintenance on it, regular oil changes and stuff. It's got about 67,000 miles on it and such. Is the timing chain likely to go out on one of these at this kind of mileage? Is it easy to repair, or should I take it into our GM dealer and have them replace it for me?
I have very little experience working on cars, and my dad has never worked on one that was younger than a 1984...
Help?

How can someone attribute bad timing to an engine not turning over? One can not possibly have anything to do with the other.
Steve

Sorry, that was a short response.
Turn the headlights on. Do they work? If so, try to turn it over. Do the head lights go out or stay on?
Now I'll add my typical responses:
1. Any warning lights on while you were driving to the store? 2. How old is your battery?
Steve

Okay. I went out and tried it. Headlights came on fine. Tried to turn it over, lights dimmed a bit as usual, engine cranked 3-4 times, then it made a loud click, and cranked 3 more times, clicked.
Turned off ignition, headlights, and tried again. Engine cranked 4 times, clicked, cranked 3 times, clicked, cranked 3 more times and clicked.
Battery is new, maybe 2 months old. No warning lights that I remember.
Rail has fuel pressure.

What engine-4.3? check for spark-the 4.3's had issues with crossfiring in regards to the cap-let us know ! jp

The fact that it doesnt want to crank very vigorously is bothersome, although the ignition issues you mention are well to consider.
I think I would pull the plugs and have a look. Once out, I would try to spin the motor and see if there is hydraulic lock or something else keeping it from cranking. (Hope is is not a cracked block or leaking gasket, etc)
If it wont crank ( not "start", Rapier, "crank") with the plugs out, then he needs to work back through the starter system "for starters".
Rapier wrote:

So it turns over fine but makes a click when it turns over? Or do you mean it turns over a few times stops then turns over a few more(like a low battery)?
I would probably start by checking the battery cables and the wiring on the starter. Not just the connections but the connectors themselves.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Turns over a few times and stops.
Maybe the battery doesn't have enough amps for that motor?
Come to think of it, this battery has a bigger footprint than the old one... Maybe it's pulling on the cable too hard?
news:0e0736bd-90d7-43fa- Turns over a few times and stops.
Maybe the battery doesn't have enough amps for that motor?
Come to think of it, this battery has a bigger footprint than the old one... Maybe it's pulling on the cable too hard?
Lots of things can cause this... -a "dragging" or otherwise defective starter
-a bad solenoid
-battery terminals dirty, cables with high resistance connections, bad grounds (Note that GM battery cables with multiple wires coming out of side terminals are known for corroding on the inside...you can pull the rubber back and clean some of them, but in the long run you have to replace them.)
-a bad battery.
-mechanical resistance in the engine that would keep even a healthy starter from turning properly..
Eliminate the possibilities one by one: dont just start throwing new parts at it.

I would certainly start with troubleshooting the connections before I jumped into anything else. Start at the battery. Don't just make sure the connections are tight - make sure they are clean. Make sure they are fully seated in the pocket on the batter. You cannot assume that because the stud screws in, that the battery connectors are properly seated in the battery terminal pockets. Nor can you assume you will provide enough battery to the starter which typically draws upwards of 80A, through poorly seated terminals, just because the studs are tight. Take the cables off the battery. Inspect for corrosion. Make absolutely certain that you have a good seat of the cable end into the battery pocket before you start tightening down the stud. If you have too long of a stretch on one cable, as you say you do, then try to re-route the cable to enable a good contact. If that won't work, then get a new cable.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Please let us know the problem when you solve it, Rapier.