2003 Impala 122k miles

my friend is selling her 2003 Chev Impala. It has only had one previous owner prior to her which was her father thru his business. It is perfect shape, it is a top of the line in that make/model, interior is immaculant ! All maintenance has been kept up on it. Catalayct converter and o2 sensors are the only replacing it has required. I am looking to buy it from her as my daughters (16yrs old) first car. My hang up is the mileage, most of which was put on from her father who travels for his business, its all interstate miles. I just want to know if I should be concerned about it. My daughter would use for travel locally for school & college. I was hoping to get at least a good 4-5 years out of it. Let me know your thoughts.

Reply to
buckndoe

You always hear about highway miles. A mile is still a mile, the rear end, motor,suspension,bearings,brakes, interior and transmission ALL have the same122,000 miles on it. I would not depend on it . If you could afford it I would look for a lower mileage vehicle. I have 2 girls and both have cars with alot less mileage.My rule of thumb is: I do not put my kids in a car I would not drive myself. Hope this helps you make a decision.

Reply to
Chevy Man

It still has another 40,000 to 80,000 or more miles left in it. As always, used cars are a crap shoot. May never have a problem, but it could die tomorrow.

If you truly want my thoughts: My kids had to buy their own cars and they appreciated them better for that reason. I'd not allow a 16 year old to have a car anyway and my kids later appreciated that wisdom also. I don't want to hear that "my daughter is very responsible" either. I've raised my kids and I was one myself a long time ago. I know what they do with cars. My daughter was rougher than my son. Your kids, your life, your decision. Good luck with it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin is right about the mileage left in that car - and maybe even a bit conservative. At 122,000 though, it's going to take some maintenance time and money to get those remaining miles out of it. If you aren't the wrenching type (and I can almost be certain that you're not by your very question here), then you're going to be shelling out some hard earned cash for those repairs. It may not be the huge repairs, but you'll almost certainly be hit with $200-$300 here and there, on too regular a basis. Many of us keep our cars for twice the mileage that this car has on it, and don't pour a ton of money into them - or else we wouldn't keep them! It's very high mileage to be stepping into and I guess what I'm saying is that if I put that kind of mileage on a car I am a lot more comfortable with it than I am with buying a car at that mileage.

Reply to
Mike Marlow