2003 Impala 3.8 L Gas tank

Threaded View

My son just purchased a 2003 Impala and is having a problem when trying to
fill up on gas. The gas pump nozzle will shut off after 2-3 gallons even
though the fuel level is still very low..We have tried filling up at several
stations all with the same result. If we continue to pump 2-3 gallons at a
time it does eventually fill...I figure there is a vapor lock in the tank
and there is a problem with the vent hose or cannister.

Another thing, it appears the the gas cap is not the original for that car
as it is not attached with a plastic tie as in most cars, so I'll go to the
dealer and get the right one.

My question: Is it an easy affair to replace the gas tank vent hose, or does
the tank actually have to come out to replace it?...any words of wisdom
would be appreciated.

rob

Re: 2003 Impala 3.8 L Gas tank

It is possible the vent hose is kinked or pinched, check that first.

-

Re: 2003 Impala 3.8 L Gas tank

I might be mistaken, but I think that is a closed vent system with
elaborate relay and valves, shut valves, high and low pressure
alarms, with codes that can be reported due to OBDll. Do you
have any codes? In fact ,you might have the wrong gas cap
on that vehicle.> My 2 cents worth...

Re: 2003 Impala 3.8 L Gas tank

How does the gas cap affect filling the tank?

-

Re: 2003 Impala 3.8 L Gas tank

Sorry I butted in, but one of the checks that are done during
state emission tests, is the gas cap. The Evaporative Emissions
system is not just a cap and vent tube in the atmosphere, but a
whole system   with codes that drive folks nuts
when they have to do state emission tests every year.

Re: 2003 Impala 3.8 L Gas tank

does

Don't over think it right away. Try pulling the nozzle out of the tank
slightly, an inch or so should do.

Steve

Re: 2003 Impala 3.8 L Gas tank

I have the problem with wifes Car. I just pull the nozzzle out about an inch
insted of leaving it in completely. My guess is the bend is too tight and
lets the gas backup to the nozzle.

Site Timeline