2003 Impala 3.8 L Gas tank

My son just purchased a 2003 Impala and is having a problem when trying to fill up on gas. The gas pump nozzle will shut off after 2-3 gallons even though the fuel level is still very low..We have tried filling up at several
stations all with the same result. If we continue to pump 2-3 gallons at a time it does eventually fill...I figure there is a vapor lock in the tank and there is a problem with the vent hose or cannister.
Another thing, it appears the the gas cap is not the original for that car as it is not attached with a plastic tie as in most cars, so I'll go to the dealer and get the right one.
My question: Is it an easy affair to replace the gas tank vent hose, or does the tank actually have to come out to replace it?...any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
rob
It is possible the vent hose is kinked or pinched, check that first.

-

I might be mistaken, but I think that is a closed vent system with elaborate relay and valves, shut valves, high and low pressure alarms, with codes that can be reported due to OBDll. Do you have any codes? In fact ,you might have the wrong gas cap on that vehicle.> My 2 cents worth...

How does the gas cap affect filling the tank?

-

Sorry I butted in, but one of the checks that are done during state emission tests, is the gas cap. The Evaporative Emissions system is not just a cap and vent tube in the atmosphere, but a whole system with codes that drive folks nuts when they have to do state emission tests every year.

does
Don't over think it right away. Try pulling the nozzle out of the tank slightly, an inch or so should do.
Steve
I have the problem with wifes Car. I just pull the nozzzle out about an inch insted of leaving it in completely. My guess is the bend is too tight and lets the gas backup to the nozzle.