2003 Impala LS - mileage question.

I'm in the market for a car and this is for sale from a reputable family mechanic. The car has 80,000 miles. I drive about 15,000 miles a year and I'm looking to get five years out of my next car.
Generally speaking, assuming that the car was and will continue to be well maintained, could it make it to 150,000 miles easily, or is that a stretch? My other option that I'm considering is a 2001 Altima with 40,000 miles but I actually like the drive and feel of the Impala better, it also feels safer and more solid. Thanks. Jeff
jeff wrote:

What engine is in the Impala? I'd think the 3800 would be the preferable choice.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't doubt your experience, but it is a rarity. I've driven plenty of GM cars well in excess of 150,000 miles with no major problems.
Every brand has its share of problems.
My 2000 Impala 3.8 is doing fine overall, I feel it will last me many more years (78000 on the clock now). Roy

Thanks for the input. I ended up buying a Camry, however through my research I've developed a newfound respect for certain American cars. Apparantly Japanese cars are very reliable but overrated and American are often reliable and very underrated. Jeff
Well, I could be brainwashed since my dad was a parts manager for a Chevy dealer for 43 years, and I am dyed in the wool GM--all makes. Roy

Our 2000 Impala LS 3.8 went over 176,000 miles this week. It still runs great.
Ken

Not a stretch at all. I've driven some GM cars to 200,000 miles. The last one was 150k and my present one is 122k (but did have a transmission repair) and I plan to keep it for another five+ years.
jeff wrote:

I have never had a car go less then 225,000 miles before trade-in. (Not including the ones that got wrecked beyond repair.) Except for one underpowered Toyota, they were all GM's.