2003 Malibu - Check engine light

2003 Malibu, 17,120 kms.

Went to the in-laws this afternoon and everything was fine, the outside temperature was about 1 degree celcius - about 1/4 tank of gas.

Came out tonight (about 6 hours later) started it up, and the check engine light was on. The temperature had dropped to -1 celcius (-7 windchill)

I checked the gas cap, oil and coolant levels, and all were fine.

I filled the gas tank up, and the check engine light was still on.

I'm guessing something temperature/condensation related.

Dealer doesn't re-open until Saturday, so I'll have to wait until then to get it on a scanner.

Any ideas on what might be the cause?

Thanks...Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Paul

Is the car running okay otherwise? Good luck with it. You sure to seem to have more than your fair share of bad luck with cars the past couple of years. :-(

Reply to
James C. Reeves

No. I checked the gas cap as soon as the light came on, since that is usually one of the first things that make the light come on.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Other than the check engine light, the car is working fine.

Yes, that is sadly true. If it wasn't for the fact that I get the GM employee discount, I'd probably be driving an import.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Just got back from the dealer.

The fuel pressure sensor they replaced a few months ago failed.

So far in 10 months of ownership - 2 fuel pumps, 2 fuel pressure sensors, 1 strut mount, and 1 new tire.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Unbelievable!! Well, glad you're back on the road.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

It is hard to beat the price, I'm sure! Even us regular customers can usually get a GM vehicle for less that a comparable Ford or Chrysler...and definitely less when compared to a similar import model.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

"Brad Clarke" wrote

Wow...you are doing good. Heh heh....

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I figure by the time the lease is done, I'll have a whole new car :)

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Consider yourself lucky ! I bought a 97, lower control arm twice, heater blower motor, heater control, brake rotor, front strut bearing, lots of rattle in dashboard, rear antisway bar bushing....in other words a POS.All that within 1 year of ownership...

But my 3 other GM product were just almost perfect, I traded the Malibu for a leased Lumina 97, I bought a new Montana van in 2002, and a used Century

2002, both are excellent vehicule, I will end up with the intake leak but hey 500/600.00 later your good to go, so its not a major thing in my book, I'd rather have an engine going up in smoke than have to go the the dealership every second week-end for some chicken shit.....
Reply to
Rick

You mean they'll have a whole new car.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

True :)

When I got the lease, I also got a 4 yr/100,000km no deductible GM extended warranty. So, when the lower intake gasket goes, GM pays for it. If the engine gets piston slap like my 2001 Malibu did, GM pays for the repair/replacement of the engine. Every time it's in the shop overnight, GM pays for a rental.

I get inconvenience, GM gets the bill :)

Whether I keep the car after the lease depends on how problematic the beast is for the remainder of it - I'll likely ditch it and get something else. What I get next time depends on whether GM extends the discount to us again - it's hard to beat $3,500+ discounts on top of what they already offer in promotions.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

I believe him. GM = General Maintenance

Reply to
Daniel

| > Unbelievable!! Well, glad you're back on the road. | >

| | | I believe him. GM = General Maintenance | |

I actually do too. I used to own a 2003 Malibu LS and got rid of it.

Reply to
James C. Reeves