2003 Olds Alero half-shaft loose in transaxle

Had a growling noise when I turned to the right so changed the bearing assembly. It's better but not completely gone. Now have a clunking sound that I thought was struts loose but when I wobble the half shaft, it's very
loose where it goes into the trans. Has to be something broken inside the trans??? My wife nor daughter, neither will admit to hitting something but I'm not convinced. Is this something I could fix myself?? Thanks
Check the other one see if it feels the same.

-
ankhe105 wrote:

Maybe you hit something coming home from that club last week.

What part is loose? The actual part that goes into the transaxle or the inner tripod joint of the axle? Also do like Shep said and check the other axle for comparison. Oh, and are we talking about the right or left axle?
Steve
Thanks Steve. Turns out the axles are fine with normal movement. I guess the clunk is something in the body itself such as plastic support around the headlights. It doesn't do it on paved roads, only gravel. The growl that I continued to hesr turns out to be the other wheel bearing is shot. Anyway, I traded it off last friday for an 05 Taurus. Wheel bearing gone at 41K and brakes at 25K. I think it was abused before we got it so best it went down the road. Oh, and I did tell the dealer of the problems. Thanks again.