2003 Sierra Radio Problem

I have a single CD, RDS radio that seems to work just fine playing commericial CDs. However, when I play a COPY that I made of a commericial CD it will play for a few minutes and then stop. When I
remove the CD is seems warm to the touch. The CDs that fail have a paper label on them. I have not isolated the problem to the labels though, because I have other copies with labels that work just fine.
Has anyone else had this problem? My Brother-In-Law has a 2003 Chevy that does the same thing which makes me think it is something in the design of the radio. All of the CDs played fine in my 2000 Sierra that I traded in and in my friends radios.
Some players can be picky about the kind of discs that they will play - try a different brand of CD-R blanks. Also, the burning speed you use can sometimes make a difference - some players may prefer discs burned at below maximum speed.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
This taken from the owners manual for a 2003 GMC single CD radio with RDS............... Insert a disc partway into the slot, label side up. The player will pull it in and the disc should begin playing. The display will show the CD symbol. If you want to insert a compact disc with the ignition off, first press TUNE or the eject symbol.

I know about the warnings and the paper labels. However, every one of the discs played flawlessly in the 2000 GMC radio. I have found that the CDs play just fine until I put the label on. It is almost like the disc is too thick with the label. Strange.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:33:18 GMT, "jones.family"

It's most likely not to thick. Its most likey to heavy for that players spindle motor.

it
symbol.
TUNE
the
the
skipping,
If
I think there is a pending software fix for this issue.
You would be wrong. Current GM radios dont have the ability to recieve software or firmware upgrades.
There may be a running change in future production.

The following current GM vehicles have radios that contain upgradable firmware.
2003 C/K vehicles 2003 G/H vans 2003-04 Hummer H2 2004 all light and medium duty trucks
Roger

Roger, Please dont be confused with Class Two Data bus information changes. Using a Tech 2, yes you can update low level eprom info, but not alter the firmware used by the microprocessor, or change the firmware, that the OP was asking for, to allow the laser to refocus on different quality burned CD-R's. This is not possible.
The type of 'upgrading' that can be done are things like changing the volume of the door chime, or resetting the error collection settings, or altering the SVC settings......and so on. They are like changing menu options.
By the way, GM vehicles that have Class Two have had this type of 'feature' since 1998 Cadallic's and 2000 Chevy and Pontiac's,

How do you find out if there is a software fix because when I ask the GM dealer they had no knowledge of the problem.
On 01 Oct 2003 09:36:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comoicurax (Baboo) wrote:

You should buy a new stereo at WWW.Bought4Less.com
NEW AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player for about $140 or so
: I have a single CD, RDS radio that seems to work just fine playing : commericial CDs. However, when I play a COPY that I made of a : commericial CD it will play for a few minutes and then stop. When I : remove the CD is seems warm to the touch. The CDs that fail have a : paper label on them. I have not isolated the problem to the labels : though, because I have other copies with labels that work just fine. : : Has anyone else had this problem? My Brother-In-Law has a 2003 Chevy : that does the same thing which makes me think it is something in the : design of the radio. All of the CDs played fine in my 2000 Sierra : that I traded in and in my friends radios.
guess there is no software update for this. sorry.