2003 Suburban Power Steering Trouble

Friend has an '03 Suburban, complains of a power steeing "hesitation". When engine is at high RPMS everything is fine. Sounds like a pump to me, but is there anything else that could be suspected? Any common issues? Anything to check?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

"Steve Mackie2" wrote: > Friend has an ?03 Suburban, complains of a power steeing > "hesitation". When > engine is at high RPMS everything is fine. Sounds like a pump > to me, but is > there anything else that could be suspected? Any common > issues? Anything to > check? > > Steve

The fluid?

Reply to
LeBuick

Still under warranty? Let the dealer handle it...

Reply to
Woody

What about it? It's topped up, somewhat of a browninsh tint to it, nothing out of the ordinary.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

No warranty left....

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Have you checked the belt tension (i.e. idler pulley spring strength) If the pulley has a weak tensioner spring or if the belt is glazed in places you may well experience symptoms such as you are describing. Before throwing big money at the problem first check the belt & tension. Just a thought.

Reply to
Full_Name

It's probably the pump. We've seen a number of pumps fail in this way. In order for an accurate diagnosis though, you would need to take some pressure readings.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai