2004 Buick LeSabre stalling

Our new Buick occasionally stalls when shifting into reverse. The dealer has been unable to find the problem. The car has been driven for less than

2000 miles.

I don't know if it's related to this problem but the torque converter was replaced at about 800 miles. They also disassembled and reassembled the transmission when they replace the converter.

Does anyone have any idea of could be causing this problem.

Thanks in advance, Howard

Reply to
Howard Slomer

t-converter may be locked giving her a bit of throttle (while holding the brake on) and then shifting into gear, that may free up the t-converter.

Reply to
J.Carr

Since the car is so new, and they can't seem to fix the problem, tell the dealer you want a new one. Don't take no for an answer.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I agree. It's likely that lemon laws in your state back that up as well.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

All,

Thanks for the quick replies.

The problem happens so infrequently that the dealer has not been able to reproduce the problem. The computer has not recorded any error codes. They recently installed a monitor in the car which is connected to a plug under the dash on the left side above the parking brake. The monitor is small and cylinder shaped and sits in the cup holder next to the driver. When the car stalls we are supposed to push a button on the recorder.

The car does not stall when cold and only when shifting between drive and reverse and then only once every couple of weeks.

Do you really think the dealer would consider replacing the car when they can't reproduce the problem? Other than the dramatic failure of the torque converter at about 800 miles the car has been fine.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Slomer

If the converter is locking and causing the stalling can it be adjusted to "fix" the problem?

Howard

Reply to
Howard Slomer