2004 Chevy Classic - Critique

I rented a 04 Chevy Classic and put on 800 miles in 4 days between Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, & back. 4 drs, 2.2 Ecotech, power everything, had 823 miles to start.
Nice car. Everything worked well. The car appears to be a generic "people's car" - functional yet fairly comfortable. The 2.2 Ecotech makes a decent amount of power - not as much as the GP GTP I rented in Atlanta, GA two weeks ago though. :) The simple 4 speaker CD/radio sounds better than the 6 speaker equalizer system in the 04 GP GTP.
My only complaints were:
1) Door sill 4" too high - can't hang my arm out the window comfortably. 2) No padding on door, arm rest, or steering wheel. (The GP GTP did not have padding either. Both cars will hurt elbows after a few hours.
Would I buy one? NO, I like to hang my arm out the window.
Never heard of a Chevy Classic.
Have heard of the following Chevies
Corvette Malibu & Maxx Impala Cavalier SIlverado Suburban Trailblazer Blazer Tahoe Avalanche Astro Monte Carlo
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
I think the 'classic' is last year's Malibu; available only as a fleet car. Bill 88 Lancer Shelby 91 LeBaron Convertible 01 Chevy Impala LS
Harry Face wrote:

Billccm is right. It took a while but I finally found a link: http://www.gmfleet.com/us/products/vehicle_showroom/vehicles/04ChevroletClassic.html Unfortunately, Budget Rent A Car does not include books with their rental vehicles, or valve stem caps. No other markings on car, just "Classic" on left side of trunk lid.

http://www.gmfleet.com/us/products/vehicle_showroom/vehicles/04ChevroletClassic.html
Bingo... they are using up the rest of their spare parts.
We had one in the body shop and at first I thought it was just another dumbass misbadging stuff (we had some dude with one of the creame colored Monte Carlo's that had Lexus emblems on it *shrug*.) but then found out its just for rental car companies to have.
Paradox wrote:

Whoa! Yeah. I bet you are correct. I had not thought of that. Probably cheaper than sending left over GM parts to Australia to make Holdens.

Old Malibu design, rebadged. Sold to fleets.
Timothy J. Lee

The new 4 door GTP's kinda are wierd, they have a coupe body shape to them, yet they somehow manage to squeeze those rear doors in there, which sucks for getting in and out, have to pretty much lean forward, otherwise you smash your head.
The malibu is ok as a company car (which is what we use them as) being on the same chassis as the Grand Am, they make relatively fun cars to drive when your on a wet empty parking lot. they are mad tyte drifters y0!
the Malibu's we have have the 3100 in them though, the 2.2 ecotec is kinda pushing it for that size of a car, it weighs like 3100lbs as it is. Ecotec needs to stay in the Cavalier and Cobalt.
Paradox wrote:

Yeah. I was thinking while driving the Classic that it is almost exactly the same size as my 92 G/A. My old G/A is much more comfortable though. They still used foam padding on doors and steering wheels back in those days. And arms were meant to be hung out windows.
Next week I get to rent something else in Cleveland and drive to Columbus, OH and then to Chicago and back to Cleve. I am thinking about trying out a new Grand Am.
As an aside note, There are NO SUV's and very few cars available for rent in Houston at the moment.
My mother recently got a new Classic as a company car, the same as you described. She has a few other complaints:
1 - She claims it's horrible in the snow. Since my mother can't drive in the snow, I have no idea how accurate this is. 2 - The interior lights activate and 'Door Ajar' noise sounds randomly when driving the car. When she called the local GM dealer, they argued the Chevy doesn't make a Classic, and they wouldn't fix it. :) I guess word isn't out yet.
-Nathan

Given the number of lingering problems and GM-style idiosyncrasies with the older Malibu (of which I am a so far content owner), the re-badging as "Classic" is maybe just a little TOO ironic, don't you think?

"Paradox" wrote

"theres
If they said that, we would know that they haven't bothered to open their 2004 manuals, as the Classic is there, and listed as an "N" car.
Ian