2004 Grand Prix ECM

I'm installing a navigation radio in my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and cannot find my ECM. Can someone PLEASE tell me where it's located?

Thanks! Thomas

Reply to
tomdabomb2u

Document ID# 926127

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement

Service of the powertrain control module (PCM) should normally consist of either replacement of the PCM or electrically erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM) programming. If the diagnostic procedures call for PCM replacement, inspect the PCM first to see if the replacement is the correct part. If the PCM is faulty, remove the PCM and install the new service PCM.

The new service PCM will not be programmed. You must program the new PCM. DTC P0602 indicates the EEPROM is not programmed or has malfunctioned.

Notice Do not touch the connector pins or soldered components on the circuit board in order to prevent possible electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage to the PCM.

Notice Turn the ignition OFF when installing or removing the PCM connectors and disconnecting or reconnecting the power to the PCM (battery cable, PCM pigtail, PCM fuse, jumper cables, etc.) in order to prevent internal PCM damage.

Removal Procedure

Important It is necessary to record the remaining engine oil life. If the replacement module is not programed with the remaining engine oil life, the engine oil life will default to 100%. If the replacement module is not programmed with the remaining engine oil life, the engine oil will need to be changed at

5000 km (3,000 mi) from the last engine oil change.

Using a scan tool, retrieve the percentage of remaining engine oil. Record the remaining engine oil life. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical. Remove the left front inner fender brace. Refer to Brace Replacement - Front Fender Upper Diagonal in Body Front End. Remove the air cleaner intake duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Intake Duct Replacement . Remove the air cleaner housing cover screws (2). Remove the air cleaner housing cover (1). Without disconnecting the PCM electrical connectors, remove the PCM and the wiring harness from the air cleaner housing assembly (3). Disconnect the PCM electrical connectors and remove the PCM (4).

Reply to
Silver Surfer

HEEEEY! THANKS silver surfer! (that's also the name of my car LOL)

Reply to
TomDaBomb

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and I have to replace the ECM and I don't know where it is but I have a new one preprogrammed by means of the VIN NUMBER AND INSTRUCTIONS BUT Again no location of the ECM Could someone please help me with this issue..

Reply to
My 04 "GTP"