2004 Grand Prix Seats - yuk!

I just bought a new 2004 Grand Prix with cloth interior. After sitting in the driver's seat for a while it is very uncomfortable. It's like you're
sitting top-dead-center on a wstiff mushroom. The center of support is uncomfortably on my center!
Just wondered if anyone has had any experience modifying the seat cushion contour. The salesman told me (after I had made a 700 mile trip in my new car) that they had "lots of complaints" on the early versions and the seat bottoms had been modified.
The actual seat is a steel sheet metal tray with a foam rubber pad. I think that the problem is that the stitching which runs parallel to your leg provides a trough for your leg to settle into which leaves your bottom on a square plateau.
Thanks, Dave
"Dave @cinci.rr.com>" <dpugh<removethis> wrote in message
|I just bought a new 2004 Grand Prix with cloth interior. After sitting in | the driver's seat for a while it is very uncomfortable. It's like you're | sitting top-dead-center on a wstiff mushroom. The center of support is | uncomfortably on my center! | | Just wondered if anyone has had any experience modifying the seat cushion | contour. The salesman told me (after I had made a 700 mile trip in my new | car) that they had "lots of complaints" on the early versions and the seat | bottoms had been modified. | | The actual seat is a steel sheet metal tray with a foam rubber pad. I think | that the problem is that the stitching which runs parallel to your leg | provides a trough for your leg to settle into which leaves your bottom on a | square plateau. | | Thanks, | Dave | |
Neither me or the wife could ever get comfortable on long road trips in the 2003 Malibu we used to own either. We both had aching backs for a while after the trip. Hard to understand why this would be a issue. I thought seat design parameters was settled a long time ago!

Yea, me too. Have 94 Cutlass and 96 Grand Am ... it's always amazed me that I can drive either all day and get out feeling fresh as a rose.
Checked the Grand Am and it has like a sling of fabric supported on left & right edges with foam rubber on top.
| Yea, me too. Have 94 Cutlass and 96 Grand Am ... it's always amazed me that | I can drive either all day and get out feeling fresh as a rose. | | Checked the Grand Am and it has like a sling of fabric supported on left & | right edges with foam rubber on top. | |
And it's hard to get a sense for this dynamic during a 20-minute test drive. One can't learn of the uncomfortable seats until they go on their first long road trip in the car. :-(
James C. Reeves wrote:

fwiw, the seats in my 01 TA are great, although I wish the side bolsters were bigger. And don't get leather if you're going autocrossing, it's amazingly slippery.
Ray

Yea. I noticed the slippery leather seats on one test drive. Thought it was kind of annoying...was kind of surprised.
The thing that nixed leather for me was the acoustics. I tell people that I can tell before my bottom hits the seat and with my eyes closed whether the car has leather or cloth. Cloth is much quieter.
Dave wrote:

I took care of the noisy seats by installing an SLP loudmouth. ;) I would have preferred cloth, but leather was standard.
Ray
James C. Reeves wrote in alt.autos.gm

I have a bad back, and have to look for cars that I can sit in comfortably. Several years ago I tried an olds mini van, and my back was killing me within a mile of driving. Needless to say I did not get that one. I have also owned a Honda Civic whose seat just a steel bucket and sponge rubber, for some reason I was pretty comfortable in it. My current car is an 88 Buick Park Avenue with very soft and adjustable seats. It is a dream to drive for long hours, although I get somewhat stiff at the end. But not in pain.
--
Dick #1349
Talking about seat comfort. I have Bonneville SSEi and Sunfire GT. Bonneville seat is the best for long trip (I have been in for more than 14 hrs and still love driving it) Sunfire seat, well after 1 hour that would be it for me unless I have small cushion to insert between my back and my seat.