2004 Impala water leak - Help please

My 2004 Impala Sedan bought new almost 2 years ago, 3.4 motor, 79,000Km, has developed a water leak on the front passenger side when it rains or when I use a generous quantity of windshield washer.

It looks like it may come from the air vent under the glove compartment. But I'm not certain.

I'm concerned that the water might get into the electronics. If there's someone in this knowledgeable group who has seen this problem before I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Reply to
StarWolf

I've heard that the gasket on the cabin air filter cover can deteriorate over time and not seal well. It is on that side of the car. HTH.

Reply to
gad

Reply to
Mike Levy

Not all Impalas have the filter, it was optional on the base model so it can't be what keeps water out otherwise all the base models would leak all the time. Try cleaning the leaves from the little grill by the right hood hinge that you see on the plastic at the base of the window when you open the hood. When ours gets too many leaves in it the water backs up and leaks in where the filter would be installed.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

The weatherstripping is seperate from the filter, should be there on all models.

On a related note, the '06 GPs have a plastic deflector over the filter, to help prevent water fron entering through that opening. There's still openings for air to enter, just not through the deflector.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Ohh, your your not talking about the weatherstriping/seal on the filter then. On ours the seal between the cowl and window was nasty with dirt and crap in it and it looked like the glue has melted in some spots and let it move around some when I last pulled it off (I had bought one of the filters and put in but it cut the airflow down some so I pulled it back out). I cleaned it all off and replaced it with some of the $.99 stuff from the hardware store. But ours would leak because the cowl drain/vent on the right would get clogged up and the water would run across the cowl and down between the joints where the right and left meet and once I clean the vent out it stops leaking.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

I found the problem: the long black piece of plastic at the base of the windshield holding down the weather stripping is warped, leaving a large gap where the wiper sits. As a temporary solution I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol and put several long strips of black electrical tape to close the gap. No more leak.

Next time I go to the dealership for an oil change I'll ask them to replace the plastic.

Thanks for the responses.

(Just for fun, do a search for "Impala water leak" on Google. It's sort of a common problem.)

Reply to
StarWolf

Alright -- so I found that piece black piece of plastic at the base of the windshield as well -- and mine was slightly of so I glued it back on again. Today we went for a spin for a few hours in nice hot sunny weater and the buttom of the fan was all wet again. could it be that there is a drain problem with condense water from the AC Grill in the car? Does anyone have any experience with that?

Please let me know --

Thanks loads :)

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Well wouldn't you know it -- I thought I would have another look to see if I could find the AC / Drain -- and I found this little 90 degree angled house 1 foot below the backside of the alternater -- I pulled it of and got a quart of a gallon of water out on the ground -- the hose was plugged with dried dirt / dust -- I cleaned it out. Hope I am all good now -- if anyone else has any other thoughts please let me know :)

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

It's not still under warranty? If it is, tell the dealer to fix it.

Reply to
jcr