2005 cobalt

i purchased a 2005 cobalt in april, and am not very happy with the car. recently was told that there is tire cupping in the rear of the car (pardon me i'm a woman), gm's solution was rotating the tires every 3000
miles...what causes this? can anyone help me? i am having major problems with the car, but supposedly everything is "normal".

Well, rotating the tires every 3k seems a bit silly. Cupping could be caused by a number of things - worn shocks ( not likely on a new car), wheels way out of balance, rims not a true circle (rare, but can happen).
What else has gone wrong?
You might give us some more details as to the engine size, manual or automatic, etc.
hi..the dealer put 4 new good year tires...i've had the front struts replaced and the right side passenger rim is 1/10" of in inch bent. that is to be in next week...the other problem is a few days ago the brake pedal started getting hard i guess that's called a low pedal and the car was pulling to the right but since the new tires have been put on, it is now pulling to the left. it seems to be that unless the computer is showing anything wrong with the car and if they don't feel it when they test drive it, they aren't going to do anything about. i'm not sure if it's a 2.4 i think it's a 2.2 it's a sedan piece of crap!! i emailed gm and they kind of got on them about getting it fixed because they were just blowing me off. the last email to gm was if they were not going to cover this under my warranty then i would stop payments on the vehicle and return it to the dealer. the car was bought in april of 2005 and has 15,900 approximately miles on it. can you help me?

Help you with what? The car is going back to the dealer right? Tell them about it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Drove a rental Cobalt when I was in California over Christmas, for three days. I did take it through some steep mountains, and on some winding roads. Never hit a curb or anything. Filled up once at Shell. By the end of three days, it was pulling slightly to one side (not because of tire pressure either), the engine had a slight hesitation during acceleration, and the shift indicator on the floor-mounted automatic transmission stick got stuck. It also felt very plasticy inside. Mileage was less than 15000.
i have made another appt with another dealer. do you know what would cause this pulling? i don't know why this dealer is not willing to check this car. they put a new rim on (i did not hit a curb either or run anything over) and a new tire because the "wobble" i was experiencing was because the tire was bad, and since then the brake is stiff. they didn't even offer to look at it. this has been a nightmare...i'm just trying to get an education from disinterested third parties because after this i don't trust any dealership and i thought this one was pretty good...

Sounds like your shock/struts are failing already. Demand a REPLACEMENT.

Sad to hear it. My first comment would have been to look for reviews before buying, but all I've read is positive on the Cobalt. However most car reviewers do just a superficial positive evaluation now days; they want their commission. >:)

CAR from a more capable manufacturer.

This is a good place to post if you have specific problems with a vehicle.
State any specific problems you have, how many times you had it to the dealer, etc. I have tire cupping problems on a new pickup and it will take a new set of tires to fix it. Nothing found wrong with alignment or front end. Probably just low end tires, they got a discount on 10 truckloads of the things.
bubia wrote:

Hmmmm, I guess the Consumer Reports is full of nonsense when they rate the Cobalt's reliability as much worse than average, eh?
Cupping typically means that either the tires are defective or the shocks are bad.
John
it's a 2.4 automatic. i took the car in on tuesday because the car was pulling to the right. they said the right strut was bad and replaced both. the car is still pulling to the right. i wanted them to check the brakes but they said it was the struts so i am thinking that the backend suspension is bad but they said they checked it and it is ok.