2005 Malibu LS: Same Impala Speaker Nightmare!

Why the heck does GM make rear decks they way they do?! You practically have to evac the whole freakin' backseat just to swap out a lousy pair o' 6x9s!!
Anybody here been in the back of their '04-05 'Bu and survived a speaker swap? It looks tough, what with foldown rear seats and all. Bring back the 70s, when a speaker swung up against the bottom of the rack at one end and was secured at the other end by somethin' looking like a coathanger. Keep it SIMPLE!!
thanks,
-ChrisCoaster 1,647 miles so far. 127: - had brake switch replaced for cruise control(low volts reading on OBD). 1,605 - Hood release hand fell out. Had to use pliers to insert cable into cheap plastic handle, but easy to put whole thing back once that done.
"Initial Quality" AWESOME interior design and controls layout!! Sharper exterior looks than the Classic. My 3.5 has ensermassity to boot(and passing power that put my old 3.4 Impala to shame). BUT: GM must improve quality. Too many parts fail because they are built plasticky cheap! There are thousands of grades of plastic - and hood releases should be made of toucher material.
Yeah, you'd think they would make it so the speaker comes out of the bottom of the tray...

It's called "ease of production", "egonomics in the workplace" and "unions." So they are now installed from the top side. Besides, the only thing that should be done with the 6x9s in the back of a car is cut the wires.
Steve
"Besides, the only thing that should be done with the 6x9s in the back of a car is cut the wires."
Steve, want to expand on that last sentence??
-CC

Having speakers in the back messes up the soundstage, being ovals, they also tend to sound like crap.

Couldn't have said it better myself.....
Good points, guys. And I'm supposed to be the "phase linearity" nut - identical speakers all around!
Just because a car has a huge rear deck doesn't mean they *have* to fill it with huge, elongated drivers. If they put 5" or 6" rounds in the front doors, put IDENTICAL 5 or6" rounds in the rear window. I'd rather sacrifice some LF and have to turn the bass up a hair than have that phasey shift in the sound between the fronts and backs. Or, if ovals are a better fit, use 5x7s fore n' aft. Simple.
-CC
Steve Mackie wrote:

So why would you include "unions" in your answer? Do you think that GM designers/engineers consider the UAW at all when they design a speaker installation? Do you think at all?
LOL Doug!! I'm with you there. Design the speaker installation so that only a UAW employee can access it. ROTFLMAO!!!
Here's my take: They put it in so difficult so that aftermarket installers or individuals have a hell of a time replacing them! This drives up labor costs if you have someone else to it - or, blows your entire FREAKIN' SATURDAY AFTERNOON when it takes 4 hours to remove the bastards!!
LOL! People, here and elsewhere: It's a SPEAKER - NOT an emmissions component. >sheesh<
-CC
doug wrote: unions." snip previous

Yup, your right. The reason isn't some intelligent answer given by someone working in the industry, it's your conspiracy theory.
Steve
Hoo boy - you're one of those...
It's NOT a conspiracy theory. I also thought about making them theft proof, but then, who wants GM stock speakers??
But as much as you think my idea is loony, so goes all this prattle about Unions. If you design something for union workers, it should be EASY to install!
-CC

Exactly! Now your getting it! "Easy to install!" By putting them in from the top they are easier to install.
Steve
And you are NOT getting it: Easy to install at GM - but NOT easy to access if you are an after market shop or DIY who wants and knows how to throw a nice midline set o' Pioneers back there.
-CC
Steve Mackie wrote:

LOL Doug!! I'm with you there. Design the speaker installation so that only a UAW employee can access it. ROTFLMAO!!!
Here's my take: They put it in so difficult so that aftermarket installers or individuals have a hell of a time replacing them! This drives up labor costs if you have someone else to it - or, blows your entire FREAKIN' SATURDAY AFTERNOON when it takes 4 hours to remove the bastards!!
LOL! People, here and elsewhere: It's a SPEAKER - NOT an emmissions component. >sheesh<
-CC
doug wrote: unions." snip previous

designers/engineers consider the UAW at all when they design a speaker installation? Do you think at all?

Have you ever worked in unionized factories? Have you ever worked in non-unionized factories?
The production process in a unionized factory is HEAVILY influenced by the unionized workers. On the other hand, a non-unionized facilities production process is usually a combination of worker/engineer/saftey committee. I worked at one factility where the process was soley determined by the process engineer (me), accounting for cost and ergonomics only.
The statement I made was a little broad, there are exceptions to the rule. Cooper-Standard Automotive for instance has both CAW and USWA-Canada unions at various facilities and the process is determined by the engineers with little input from workers. Then you go to a place like Accuride Canada (I believe they are USWA-Canada) where the workers will make sure they get their point across when something is not being done the way they want. I've seen just about everything jammed in machinery.
The major influences on design of the manufacturing process are: Cost, Ergonomics/Safety, Unions. Ask any process engineer.
Steve