2005 Trailblazer "check engine light" episode

Hi guys,
About two weeks ago the "check engine light" on my 2005 Trailblazer (33,000 miles) came on. I quickly took it to a local dealer to have it
checked out. I was told there was a problem with the coil & plug on cylinder #5 which were replaced. They also lightened my wallet for the 30,000 mile service.
After getting it back we drove it around for two days and our guess what light came on again. Back to the dealer on the 21st. Once again it was quickly diagnosed as an engine misfire on cylinder #5.
Further checking revealed little or no compression on said cylinder #5. They have now taken the head off for repair and it is rather iffy on when I get it back - perhaps after Labor Day.
In the mean time I'm driving a 2006 Tahoe courtesy of GM, but this really bites as I had planned to drive from LA to El Paso this weekend for vacation. I'm allowed 150 miles per day on the rental from GM, so any long trip is out of the question.
Has anyone else had any issues with the 4200 Vortec engine that required a head job at just 33,000 miles???
Oh for the simplicity of my '69 Chevy C-10 that I can do anything I care to on the engine without fear.
Regards,
Boo fn hoo
Lyle Rawlins wrote:

Did the dealer tell what happened (did it toast a valve or ??).
Bill Bowen
Gee, I suppose that the Consumer Reports reliability rating on the Trailblazer "Worse Than Average" might have been a clue before purchasing. I know that it is popular on usenet to disregard Consumer Reports, but they do provide the only real data which is available to the public.
John

Why did CR give it this rating? Was it for this reason? If so, I would expect the same out of other GM vehicles equipped with the same motor.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

"ROY BRAGG" wrote

I wouldn't worry about it. We've had all of about 5-6 of these engines apart "ever" in the years that it's been out. They are a great engine. A bit of a disposable engine, but we have almost "no" problems with them.
Ian
Thanks for the reply, it eases my fears greatly. Roy

Mike Marlow wrote:

Duh! Because it's not Japanese.