2006 Impala Features

Thought I'd post a couple of '06 Impala features my mom is raving about:

  1. The temperature dipped to the freezing mark the other morning. Mom got in the car heading off to work and just after starting the car the DIC popped up with a message like: "There is a possibilty of black ice on the road, drive safely."

  1. The factory remote car starter uses the outdoor air temperature sensor to decide if it should turn on the AC or the heater and if the blower motor is not on, it turns it on.

Interesting.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Mackie,

Yo Momma will probably see the Black Ice warning from now till next March 31st. My hunch is its programmed to come on under a certain temperature.

Have any "ricer boys" yelled, " Hey lady, nice Honda!"

Has she used the flip & fold flat rear seat yet to haul anything?

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,391 91 Bonneville LE 304,555
Reply to
Harry Face

She has the LT model without the folding rear seat. No Honda reference yet, except from my wife who is a Honda fan.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

All the DIC in my '91 Bonneville ever did was beep and tell me my door was open.

Now, that I like. I cant remember how many times I remote started my car, and got to it only to realize I had forgot to set the temp and fan to max hot/cold. How much extra does a factory remote starter run these days? This is actually the first I have heard of one.

80K
Reply to
80 Knight

Mom's Impala is a base model LT, no options. So I'm going to say the remote start is standard on the LT.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Right on. I saw your posts about your mom trading in her Intrigue for the Impala. I have driven an older Intrigue (around the same year as your mom's) and thought it had an awesome ride and was very comfortable to drive. How does she like the new Impala?

Reply to
80 Knight

Wouldn't one tend to get used to seeing that light all winter and therefore eventually tend to ignore it? Worse, wouldn't such a light tend to condition the driver to ignore other, more important, lights that might come on? Sounds fairly useless to me. Right up there with the speed sensitive auto radio volume control.

This one would be useful.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

She had a 2000 Impala, then an '02 Intrigue and now an '06 Impala. All she really said is that her current Impala is much better than the old one, no comparison to the Olds yet, but since you bring it up, I will ask.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

On my '06 Grand Prix, the "ICE" indication comes on when the temp reaches 37°F, and will alternate between ICE and the temp for about 5 minutes, then displays only the temp. My DIC has a small area where this displays, in one corner of it.

I also have the factory remote-start, $150 option on my car. Since I don't have the automatic dual-zone climate mine uses the IAT sensor to determine the HVAC functions on a remote start. If it's deemed neccessary, the car will run the HVAC in defrost on full blower speed, regardless of the knob positions. I've had it happen. It will also turn on the rear defrost.

This post answers other questions from the thread, but I'll answer in reply to those also.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Could also be included in some other package her car has. $150 option on Pontiacs, likely similar on the Chevy.

Reply to
Mike Levy

says it's standard on the LT. However, the US website has three option groups, 1LT, 2LT and 3LT. Canada only seems to have LT, and both websites suck, the information is hard to find.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

$150 is not a bad deal IMHO for a factory installed remote start. I paid around that to have an aftermarket one installed, and all it did was start the car.

Reply to
80 Knight

One of my Aunt's has an older Impala (2003 or so) and though she likes the car, she says there are several things she would change if she could. The rear-end for one, and the fact that it rides so low (may be the option package she has on it). As for the '06 Impala, you need to get up to see your Mom and give us a run down on it ;-)

Reply to
80 Knight

She's coming to visit us in two weeks, I'll take it for rip. I'm mostly interested in how the new VVT engine drives.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Make sure to let us know once you have driven it.

Reply to
80 Knight

Beemers do a similar thing. A bong goes off when the T is 3below 7 F to warn of ice.

Annoying when you first experience it.

Reply to
GRL

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

Mom mentioned that even the vehicles that don't have the remote start installed are "remote start ready." Which I take to mean it's an easy 'dealer installed' option.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I can only speak to how the Grand Prix options work but I imagine the Imapala is similar. There are 2 "remote start" packages. One is the actual feature, the other makes the car remoste start ready. The "remote start ready" cars have the long-range RKE receiver, so all that's needed is the computer programming and the new RKE transmitters to make the RVS work. The "ready" option is new for '06 on the Grand Prix. The vehicle needs to be ordered with eithr the RVS-ready option (RPO AP8 I think) or with the RVS option to get it. One might be able to get the long-range receiver to add to a car not equipped for it, but it's not been tested yet.

The extened range option allows the RKE signal to be recieved from up to 300 feet away (I think that's the distance, I can double-check it in the AM). I checked at a local mall, that range is actually somewhat accurate, I could start my car from a store entrance and I was parked at the far reaches of the nearest lot. "Normal" range is about 60 feet.

Reply to
Mike Levy