2008 chevy impala ignition problems

2008 chevy impala. key tumbler/ ignition cylinder will not return to release position to release key. Chevy dealership-Tyrell-doyle of Cheyenne WY. 82001.
will not honor warranty. and will not provide any assistance on this matter. What is the action to be taken to fix this problem. Thank you
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 19:18:01 +0000, pete

Warranty? Please explain what warranty you have on a six year old GM car. Unless you bought it used with a warranty you are S O L. Used warranty is usually rather short.
Check with a good locksmith for repair.
pete wrote:

Warranty expired in 2011 so this wouldn't be covered.
However it sounds like the interlock has failed. (prevents you from turning the key fully to lock if the transmission is in gear and prevents the vehicle from being shifted out of park without the key in and stepping on the brake)
The repair differs if it's a floor shift or column shift.
There is usually a way to actuate this without tearing everything apart, that will allow you to use the vehicle until you get it repaired at least. Look up under the steering column behind the steering wheel, there will be a couple of holes (they may have covers or not, I've seen both ways on GM) inside one of those will be an emergency release for the key. Normally you can take a pen or similar and gently push up and release the lock so you can turn the key.
The e-mail is valid if you remove NOT. Drop me a note and I'll send you a couple pictures depending on which type you have and how to fix it.
--
Steve W.