2013 Chevy Volt receives update after reports of shutdowns

shutdowns-24253704/ We?ve reached this strange moment in time when updates are released for our cars in the same manner they?re released for our gadgets. Thus is the case with the 2013 Chevy Volt, which GM has pushed a software update out for after reports of shutdowns. The manufacturer is not issuing a recall, however.

The problem cropped up on the GM-Volt forum, where users were reporting that the Volt would randomly shut down. According to the users, the powertrain would shutdown, but the brakes and steering would continue to work. It would take several minutes of sitting before the car restarted properly.

In response, GM has issued an update for the car?s software that should solve the problem. Owners who want the update will need to head over to their local dealer, which will update the vehicle?s software. The process is said to take about an hour. Thus far, no reports of accidents caused by this issue have been reported.

The Chevy Volt is an extended-range hybrid vehicle that?s currently enjoying high sales, which jumped twice in August and September. The Volt features a lithium-ion battery and the Voltec electric drive system with a

1.4L gasoline powered range extender. The MSRP is $39,145.
Reply to
Leroy N. Soetoro

Whatever the problems the Volt and any subsequent cars like it is having, you better get used to it, because the new fuel economy standards to go into effect in 2025, requiring 55 mpg, can only be met by these sorts of hybrid or all-electric cars, at least as long as the EPA keeps making diesel cars a practical improbability for sale in the USA.

Otherwise, gasoline cars that get 55 mpg with the driving cycle the EPA requires are going to look like a skateboard with a Thimble Drome.

Reply to
Dave Head

I don't understand people unloading on the Volt, the only problem I know of is the critical nature of some lithium batteries.

But I disagree with the assumption that all cars will be lightweight, once they get rid of the grille and really streamline the front, go to all electric with two onboard generators instead of one big one, mileage will be above the required 55.

The thing that can make it all happen is lower cost ultracapacitors, with good brake regeneration the driving public will have the insane acceleration and rapid braking they want without it causing poor mileage.

Mileage will probably be well above the 55 mandated.

Reply to
emoneyjoe

The other problem(s) is that is it not practical for moderate or longer distance and it costs too much.I'm also curious as to how well the heat works in very cold temperatures. Oh, and the AC in very hot temperatures.

It has a very long way to go to appeal to the mass market.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why is it not practical for moderate or longer distances? It'll go from NYC to LA in a the same amount of time as a regular car. Just keep filling the tank... like a regular car.

Don't know about the heating and cooling. It'd be good to lease it, so's you don't have to buy it, and get used to it over 3 years or so. Then make a decision about range-enhanced electric cars.

Reply to
Dave Head

Fail--I demand a minimum of 300 miles on electric only cars, and also a minimum of 300 miles on gas/electric hybrids before the gas engine has to kick in. If the electric engine can only go 50 or so miles before the gas engine kicks in, and I have to keep filling the gas engine, I might as well buy a cheaper gas-only engine.

I've ridden in a Volt. It was interesting to hear only tire and road noise when the electric only engine was running. The A/C seemed to work just as well as any gas engine vehicle. However, finding the nearest charging station with a compatible charger plug was the owner's next concern as they only had something like 9 miles left on the electric only engine. Anything past that, they would have had to use the gas engine.

So I'll pass on the Volt, and any other electric or electric/hybrid car, until the electric engine alone can get a minimum of 300 miles on a single charge.

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Everyone's needs vary but even half that is pretty good. A fifty mile round trip commute to work is fairly common and a weekend jaunt can be

100 or so. Probably a half dozen times a year I need much more in a day. But you have to be able to plug it in easily at a hotel parking lot or a quick charge while eating dinner, etc. That may come down the road too if enough cars use the same plug.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Keep in mind that on this group most of the people probably like "fast" but to the average car buyer, anything that can do 0 - 60 in 11 seconds or less will feel like a rocket to them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Why isn't that practical? So you go one way on all electric and get

100 mpg equivalent, then you come back and have to use the generator and get 32 mpg. Your trip averaged 66 mpg. I don't think you'll do that good in a VW TDI.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

ote:

It's not practical due to buying the equivalent of 2 cars and winding up with a car that few people would accept if it were gas only. Limited cargo/passenger space, limited cruise distance, poor ride, etc.

Eventually electrics may become practical but so far they are worlds away from it for the average consumer. Currently they make sense only for someone with less than 20 mile commute (one way) and making very few long trips (over about 60 miles).

It's fine to be a supporter of new technology but don't blind yourself to the shortcomings.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

How old are you? You sound like you're pretty young. Get used to something. Speak for yourself or you come off as a fool. So say something like "It's not practical FOR ME due to....etc." See, you don't speak for me and many others, so get used to that too. You sound like a big dummy, repeating the same personal opinion bullshit over and over again, like it applies to everybody. See, most people have better sense than you. If yogurt gives them the runs, they'll say "Yogurt is no good for me. Gives me the runs." Or they'll just ignore any discussion of yogurt entirely. If they can't afford an electric car, or they drive long trips most the time, or have no place to plug it in, or don't like it on a cost basis, they say: "I can't afford it." "I drive mostly long trips." "I don't have a place to plug it in." "Doesn't make financial sense to me at the current price."

But not you. You come in here acting like you speak for everybody. Won't work, so grow up.

Grow up. Speaking for myself, a Volt would suit 90% my driving needs well, very well. I have a 30 mile round trip commute and drive more than 50 miles just a few times a year, outside of vacation trips. I have a garage with electricity. For vacation trips I would use a second car, or rent a car. Or maybe take the Volt. Why don't I have one? Can't afford it. So the only "bad" I see is it costs too much for me. If the car price comes down 10 grand and gas price hits 5-6 bucks the calculation changes drastically. Some people have more money than others. They drive juiced up Ford PU's, Mercedes, Caddys, Lincolns, Buicks, Lexus, etc. All costing more than a Volt. Hell, the average 2012 price for a new car is $30,748. A loaded VW Golf is $36k MSRP. About the same for a Toyota Avalon. So the Volt isn't even expensive to those who want one. People know what they want, they don't need you. Good for those who can afford it. Must be nice driving for months and months without visiting a gas station, as some of them do. Now why don't don't you tell everybody a big house is impractical, and a stainless steel refrigerator is impractical, or a vacation in the Bahamas is impractical. Then you can start on how a new car loses a big chunk of its value after you drive it away from the dealer, so buying a new car is a loser. Get real.

Reply to
Jimmy B

Personal opinion heard frm the peanut gallery.

Sorry I stepped on your oh-so-delicate toes...not.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Read Jimmy B's comments to you twice and that will take care of what I was thinking of as a reply to you, only he said it better then I would have.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You just keep looking more and more like an ass.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

So you are actually a rarity. Most Americans drive between 13,000 and

17.000 miles per year.

I do 45,000-65,000 per year but then...Im not average with my job and location.

So why would you hold yourself as somehow the Average man?

A sense of false self importance perhaps? Vote Democrat dont you.....

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

You sound like an average dope to me.

What are you? Stupid? You think cars are aimed at the "Average man?" Sounds like commie talk. Commies always want to take away rights. What, you want a law to make me buy a Corolla or Camry? Fuck you and the commie horse you rode in on. Ain't gonna happen.

Reply to
Jimmy B

Odd that it was you that was claiming he was the average man..and when confronted with the facts....acts like a dope head.

But then..you ARE mentally ill..so its not surprising.

So you really arnt the Average Man are you?

Snicker

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

You got sore toes too? Support electrics or even hybrids allyou want but at the current level of technology they are only practical in a niche market.

I am all for them _when and if_ they can get some decent range AND the cost becomes competitive withouth subsidies.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Translation, you are to chicken to say it yourself. Fact - it is good in a niche market only. Trying to make it a practical car for anyone who does a lot of miles, Ain't gonnna work until the range improves at 100%.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And when on the gas engine you are driving a dog of a car that noone would put up with if it were a non-electric.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K