3.1L V6 precaution ?

Having recently leased a 2003 Malibu LS, I'm wondering:
1. IS there any indication that GM has finally sorted out the apparently widespread intake manifold gasket weakness?
2. Is ANYTHING that can (should) be done by the owner to prevent / delay the problem. The last thing I need is for this to become an issue just before returning the vehicle.
No rants please, that's not going to help. (I've had a Honda with porous valve seals, Mitsubishi with lousy valve guides, Toyota with oil-flow troubles, and Neon with the 'usual' head gasket trouble, so advice of "Next time buy ........" is meaningless)
Just wondered what some of the more mechanically-inclined thought about the 3.1 situation.
Thanks
just my $0.02, but it doen't matter what they do to the gasket. The mating surfaces are too narrow and long. GW
Chris Moore wrote:

I've have good luck so far. 2 3.1L's with over 150k on one, and 230k on another, neither have that trouble (all though the one with 230k miles does like eating water for some reason) (no, no oil in the water, and the plugs are fine)

apparently
delay
porous
"Next
the

But are they pre-1999 or post-1999 engines?
I've been lucky as far as gaskets go, but I seem to have really bad luck when it comes to piston slap.
I had a 2001 that only made it to 46,000 kms before it needed a new engine. I now have a 2003, and with just under 10,000 kms is already ticking like crazy and shakes the car when it's idling.
Brad
I had the same thing on my 2001 Buick Century and by using Mobil 1 and premium fuel, no more ticks and rattles
wrote:

does
plugs
Chris Moore wrote:

Replace the intake gaskets every 30k miles.