3.4L V-6 intake manifold gasket

We have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am that was purchased new in November, 2001, with the 3.4L, V-6 engine. I just read today that this engine is prone to intake manifold gasket leaks, which allow coolant to leak into the engine
oil. We have about 18000 miles on it now, and so far have no coolant leaks.
Does anyone know if this vehicle has the gasket which is prone to leaks, or the "new, improved" gasket which shouldn't leak?
If it's the old gasket, what should I do now to possibly prevent leaks, while it's still under warranty.
Tom
mabar wrote:

That engine is a 60 degree engine. The way the intake mates to heads and block is prone to leaks. Not much you can do about it. Flush the antifreeze regularly. Add the GM leak stop pellets. Watch fluid levels frequently, especially at 30k+ miles. NEVER let it overheat.

I think it's safe to say that is a good idea for any car.
We have a '99 Chevy Venture minivan with 62K miles and the 3400 engine. The intake gasket hasn't failed yet. Hopefully, that means we have one that's going to be alright. It's a $600 fix to have it changed, so I'll just continue checking the antifreeze level every other day or so (I'm kinda of anal about vehicles and fluids).
Um I really hate to tell ya but if there is nothing wrong you could honestly extend your fluid checks to lets say um once a week. Every two days is kinda alot. I would say if you drove it less than well 500 miles a day you should be good on a once a week check. "Justin" <nog> wrote in message

"Justin" <nog> wrote in message

Get an oil analysis for $20 to make sure that the leak hasn't started.
www.blackstone-labs.com will send you a sample kit at no charge.
John
I don't think the redesigned gasket came out until late 2002. The problem usually starts at around 40k miles. Do a google search on GM 3400 and read some of the forums and web pages on the subject. The problem is wide spread and from what I can see GM won't help.

leaks.
or

Do not try to prevent leaks on warranty !!! You Want it to leak during the warranty !!
The new design gasket set was not used until November 2002. You have the old design and need to watch your anti freeze level and bring it right in the minute you see it drop......preferably will still under warranty! Now it's getting easier to see why the 2003 vehicles are being sold off so cheaply isn't it?

leaks.
or