3.5 liter v-6, code N engine

I realize that it will be hard to do (restore a bit of faith in GM's engineering), but here is a bit of info on this particular engine, found in the Impala.

We had one of these apart the other day, it bent a rod due to being driven thru a large body of water (we had some sort of flash flood the other day in our city). Engine ingested water and bent the rod.

This is the code N 3500 engine, which uses the variable valve timing (on a camshaft in block design, no less!). While it was apart, we noticed that GM has completely changed the design of the cooling system. The intake is dry, there are "no" cooling ports in the cylinder heads, and they have moved to an external water crossover system that is the same design that the Northstar has used for years.

No more intake related problems on this engine. At least as far as coolant getting into the oil. I took a couple of pictures of the intake gasket and head gasket. Just for interests sake.

Note that there is another 3500 engine (code 8) that comes in the Malibu. That one does not have the variable cam timing and still has the older wet intake design. Why GM just doesn't drop it and put the code N in all the cars is beyond me. Probably need to get rid of the stock first.

So I guess the moral of the story would be to buy an Impala instead of a Malibu....(if you even want to buy GM in the first place)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian, Is that the same motor that they're putting in the G6? I've rented a few of them lately and they run pretty darn good.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

We just bought an 06 Impala LTZ with the 3900 (vin code 1). The new 'dry' intake design was a deciding factor. Especially after spending

2 days in the driveway a couple of years back at -10 C, replacing the intake gaskets on the 3100 in our Malibu.

Just turned 1000 km in the new ride. Too early to tell, but so far, so good.

Al

Reply to
Al Haunts

No, that's the code 8 engine. But yes, they are excellent engines when it comes to power. I just don't think I'd want to deal with any "coolant in the oil" problems anymore. That kind of design is outdated and shouldn't be around anymore. Of course, as a mechanic who makes money off of GM's screw-ups....I'm mildly disappointed to see the wet manifold go away. (grin)

Ian

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hey, ya gotta eat!

Brian

Reply to
diablo

I rented an '05 Malibu with this engine (wet intake version) last year for a 2 week California vacation. Loved the car and engine, but it did run hot once. The temp guage suddenly went half way between the red and the mid mark. I pulled into a parking lot right away and let it cool off. Never did it again. Perhaps a fan issue or a bubble in the cooling system. I bet most people who rented a car and it did that, they'd just keep on driving until the gasket blew, then call the rental agency and complain about "this piece of shit car you rented me!"

Reply to
grappletech