3.9 L Malibu

In the last couple of months, I've purchased two new Malibu SS's. both with the 3.9L engine. With about 5k miles on one of them, I'm very impressed with the performance albeit the fuel economy is a bit
weak around town. Any have any experience with these engines? I'm told that due to the overhead valve construction, they are relatively bulletproof...that I can expect very little trouble with them. Are they right?

when Cadillac came out w/the 4.9 Northstar that they 'claimed' could leak out the coolant and yet run another 50 miles w/o damaging the engine? Ever see many that didn't leak oil? or that didn't withdraw aluminum threads when tearing one down? Maybe a pellet rifle wouldn't harm it beyond recognition, but I'd hate for someone to fire a .22 at one I owned. Again, only miles of experience will reveal the answer. s