350 Rocket for my '78 Monte Carlo?

Okay, obviously, by my topic, I have a '78 Monte Carlo. I have an option that was presented to me today by my uncle and wanted to see if it is feasable.
He has a '72 350 Rocket out of a Cutlass. 70,000 miles on the engine.
Will I have much trouble putting it in my Monte? It has a 350 tranny. Is there any practical way to mate the Rocket to the tranny? If not, he has the tranny that was in the Cutlass as well. Would I be able to put both of them in the car without modifying the driveshaft? What other pitfalls in making such a conversion should I be aware of?
Thanks to any and all who reply.
It is doable, but will require some work. You will want as many parts from the donor car as possible, including engine, trans, radiator, P/S pump, A/C compressor and hoses, exhaust back to at least the crossover, etc. Depending on what engine your Monte originally had, you may need heavier front springs. Driveshaft modification is a real likelihood, be sure to save both the one from the Monte and the Olds.

Sounds very straightforward, since both are basicly same car. Are both 2 doors ? if so, driveshafts should be same. Use Olds engine to frame brackets, and get new mounts for Olds V8. Trans mount should be same for both. Disconnect exhaust at CAT, no use screwing with headpipe. Trans is different. Chevy uses " flat " mount, Olds uses " sculptured " mount Unsure if you use Chevy or Olds crossmember. I wanted to this very same swap to my 81 El Camino, but wound up rebuilding 229 cid 6, as it's an excellent winter engine. I like the looks of the Olds 350, would look terrific detailed up.
You like that gaudy oil fill tube? LOL Just teasin'
GW
451ctds wrote:

GW
GW that oil filler tube was very easy to put oil into, unlike a valve cover cap cocked on an angle that the funnel keeps tipping over when you let it go.....
My 78 Olds 350had the big tube !
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,400 miles_~_~~_
Well, "no duh" 'Faceman, the oil filler tube on my Blazer Chevy engine engine works nice to, but it's in the back. I was just joking that that Olds fill tube SURE as heck ain't sweet lookin' like an old style Pontiac engine. GW
Harry Face wrote:

WaaaahTubeeeeeeeeeey ! GW
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,800 miles_~_~~_

OOOHHHHH, YEAHH, baby :) :) :

You may have probs mating older engine to newer tranny (Chevy has a different bolt pattern than the rest). There are adapters out there, or you certainly could reuse the Olds tranny. Driveshaft should not be much of a problem at all (Cutlass and Monte Carlo are same frame)
Other pitfalls? Warn your local sheriff that you'll be doing this conversion, as s/he just might want to pre-print speeding tickets in your name. More seriously, check with your local (state) authorities, especially if you live in California (they don't like cars there, especially ones with the right wheels driving them). Some states require emissions tests for cars that old, and an *older* engine (than the body year) may automatically fail - even if you completely rebuild it.

No prob.... I'll be looking for advise when I pull the 305 from my Regal to make way for a 350 (with fuel injection?)
Vuarra
Thanks guys. Based on your info, and talking to my uncle more about it, I believe I'm going to go forward with the conversion. May God grant me patience!

Glad I don't live in a state like that :D