$370 Bulb !!

Page 1 of 2
My mechanic said he replaced a headlight bulb at the dealer yesterday on 2004 Cadillac Escalade. $370 for the bulb, Its one of those high intensity types.
Glad it ain't mine.
Harryface
05 Park Avenue 36,921 91 Bonneville LE 306,353
Harry Face wrote:

$370 for a bulb !!! That's worth more than my entire car.
I have a 95 Trans Am and a 96 CK2500, cost per headlight for sealed beams, $ 7.00 each. Time to replace one, about 15 minutes, bathroom break included.
I replaced a fog light bulb in my 2005 Silverado. I is a halogen and I paid $9.99 plus tax at Pep Boys. Replacement time about 4 minutes total. I'd rather be driving a Chevy pickup anyway.
Karl
If you ask Mike Hunter about it, he will tell you that bulbs for Caddys cost the same as for Cobalts.
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:59:26 GMT, " Paul " <" Paul

Of course they don't, Cadillac's and Cobalt's do not use the same type of lighting system.

But remember Mike when you said there basically aren't any part price differences between high end and lower end vehicles. I remember you pulling a stunt where you tried to make Toyotas look bad because of expensive parts. You then compared Lexus part prices against typical domestic brand parts. You tried to pull a fast one. Then to defend yourself, you said that the high end luxury brands use all the same parts as the more modestly priced brands so as to state that your comparison was still valid. Well, it wasn't and still isn't. Hell I know a guy who quite a number of years ago had to pay over $100 just for a inside door handle (that's just the part cost) for his Lincoln Town Car. Do you think a Taurus handle was the same price? Hahah. Oh yeah, and he had to replace his radio antenna too. I forget what that cost but I remember at the time thinking "wow!"
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:24:25 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

What do you smoke? The power steering pump for a 97 Lexus V8 that I was referring too, cost more than twice as much as one for a V8 Cadillac, get real.
mike hunt

Forget the $370 bulb, have you seen what it costs to replace a headlight on a Nissan Maxima (God I'm glad that I own "cheap" Chevies).
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/nissan_max_lt.html http://www.complaints.com/directory/2004/september/1/39.htm
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sun, Apr 9, 2006, 4:56pm From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com (MikeHunter) What do you smoke? The power steering pump for a 97 Lexus V8 that I was referring too, cost more than twice as much as one for a V8 Cadillac, get real. mike hunt
wrote: Harry Face wrote: My mechanic said he replaced a headlight bulb at the dealer yesterday on 2004 Cadillac Escalade. $370 for the bulb, Its one of those high intensity types.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
Forget the $370 bulb, have you seen what it costs to replace a headlight on a Nissan Maxima (God I'm glad that I own "cheap" Chevies).
That sounds a lot like the schemes that were being run on bucket seats on certain GM models in the 80's. Thieves would take the car, steal the seats, and sell them to a junkyard. Insurance companies would buy them back from the junkyard, reupholster, and put them back in your car. Then they would steal them again.
But, can these HID lamp systems be retrofitted with ordinary lighting? If I got into such a situation, I would just try to get rid of the HID, I think, no matter which model or make of car it was.
Why does it not surprise me that the type of person that would buy an import would not be smart enough to buy zero deductible comprehensive insurance for the relative few dollars more in annual premium? ;)
mike hunt
wrote:Harry Face wrote: My mechanic said he replaced a headlight bulb at the dealer yesterday on 2004 Cadillac Escalade. $370 for the bulb, Its one of those high intensity types.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
I don't understand either Mike; I've always carried zero deductable comprehensive. When I bought the extended warranty on my car, I bought the zero deductable plan too; itjust made sense to me. BTW, I agree, parts for imports usually DO cost more than parts for domestic
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sun, Apr 9, 2006, 9:31pm From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com (MikeHunter) Why does it not surprise me that the type of person that would buy an import would not be smart enough to buy zero deductible comprehensive insurance for the relative few dollars more in annual premium? ;) mike hunt
wrote: Harry Face wrote: My mechanic said he replaced a headlight bulb at the dealer yesterday on 2004 Cadillac Escalade. $370 for the bulb, Its one of those high intensity types.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
Rich,
On the Nissan are they stealing the entire headlight assembly or just the bulbs?
Sounds like the owner needs to sit on the porch with the .44 Magnum.
When my brother got a 77 Electra Park Avenue with chrome wheels, when the alarm would sound off at 3am, he'd run out the door - gun in hand.
Harryface
05 Park Avenue 36,921 91 Bonneville LE 306,353
I think they were stealing the entire headlight unit, Harry. I like your brother' security plan; I use a .45 myself (but I have used a double-barreled shotgun as well as a high powered rifle because I really hate thieves). Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sun, Apr 9, 2006, 10:45pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (HarryFace) Rich, On the Nissan are they stealing the entire headlight assembly or just the bulbs? Sounds like the owner needs to sit on the porch with the .44 Magnum. When my brother got a 77 Electra Park Avenue with chrome wheels, when the alarm would sound off at 3am, he'd run out the door - gun in hand. Harryface 05 Park Avenue 36,921 91 Bonneville LE 306,353
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
HID bulbs are VERY expensive.
--
Steve W.

"Harry Face" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
Harry Face wrote:

Must be HIDs, an '04 is awful new to need one of those though.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 17:47:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

I'd hate to price the molded headlamp covers on my 2002 BUICK.
( remember when a tail-light lens was $5 ? ) <rj>

Paid $180 for the 2001 LeSabre taillight.
In 1994 I paid $350 per side for the glass headlamp lens/reflector units for my old '87 Olds. I don't even want to think what replacements would cost on the '94 Regal I have now.
Sidebar: the HID bulb in that Caddy died kinda young - wonder if it had been mechanically damaged. My undestanding is those HID bulbs are supposed to have a 8~10 year life span.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA USA

For $350 they should out last the owner!
Al