$370 Bulb !!

My mechanic said he replaced a headlight bulb at the dealer yesterday on 2004 Cadillac Escalade. $370 for the bulb, Its one of those high intensity types.

Glad it ain't mine.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 36,921 91 Bonneville LE 306,353
Reply to
Harry Face

$370 for a bulb !!! That's worth more than my entire car.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I have a 95 Trans Am and a 96 CK2500, cost per headlight for sealed beams, $ 7.00 each. Time to replace one, about 15 minutes, bathroom break included.

Reply to
brxsep

I replaced a fog light bulb in my 2005 Silverado. I is a halogen and I paid $9.99 plus tax at Pep Boys. Replacement time about 4 minutes total. I'd rather be driving a Chevy pickup anyway.

Karl

Reply to
Skylark

HID bulbs are VERY expensive.

Reply to
Steve W.

Must be HIDs, an '04 is awful new to need one of those though.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'd hate to price the molded headlamp covers on my 2002 BUICK.

( remember when a tail-light lens was $5 ? )

Reply to
Anonymous

Paid $180 for the 2001 LeSabre taillight.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In 1994 I paid $350 per side for the glass headlamp lens/reflector units for my old '87 Olds. I don't even want to think what replacements would cost on the '94 Regal I have now.

Sidebar: the HID bulb in that Caddy died kinda young - wonder if it had been mechanically damaged. My undestanding is those HID bulbs are supposed to have a 8~10 year life span.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA USA

"Edw>

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Of course they don't, Cadillac's and Cobalt's do not use the same type of lighting system.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
SgtSilicon

What do you smoke? The power steering pump for a 97 Lexus V8 that I was referring too, cost more than twice as much as one for a V8 Cadillac, get real.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Forget the $370 bulb, have you seen what it costs to replace a headlight on a Nissan Maxima (God I'm glad that I own "cheap" Chevies).

Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sun, Apr 9, 2006, 4:56pm From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com (Mike=A0Hunter) What do you smoke? The power steering pump for a 97 Lexus V8 that I was referring too, cost more than twice as much as one for a V8 Cadillac, get real. mike hunt

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:59:26 GMT, "=AB Paul =BB" wrote: Harry Face wrote: My mechanic said he replaced a headlight bulb at the dealer yesterday on

2004 Cadillac Escalade. $370 for the bulb, Its one of those high intensity types.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

That sounds a lot like the schemes that were being run on bucket seats on certain GM models in the 80's. Thieves would take the car, steal the seats, and sell them to a junkyard. Insurance companies would buy them back from the junkyard, reupholster, and put them back in your car. Then they would steal them again.

But, can these HID lamp systems be retrofitted with ordinary lighting? If I got into such a situation, I would just try to get rid of the HID, I think, no matter which model or make of car it was.

Reply to
<HLS

For $350 they should out last the owner!

Al

Reply to
ajtessier

Remember though that GM vehicles have mandatory DRL's. So the HID system will be used much more heavily in a GM vehicle compared to other brand vehicles where DRL use is optional. The 8-10 year life is likely based on normal use, not for DRL use.

Reply to
jcr

I think when only used for headlamp use, they do last quite a while.

Reply to
jcr

Why does it not surprise me that the type of person that would buy an import would not be smart enough to buy zero deductible comprehensive insurance for the relative few dollars more in annual premium? ;)

mike hunt

Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sun, Apr 9, 2006, 4:56pm From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com (Mike Hunter) What do you smoke? The power steering pump for a 97 Lexus V8 that I was referring too, cost more than twice as much as one for a V8 Cadillac, get real. mike hunt

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:59:26 GMT, "« Paul »" wrote: Harry Face wrote: My mechanic said he replaced a headlight bulb at the dealer yesterday on

2004 Cadillac Escalade. $370 for the bulb, Its one of those high intensity types.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Rich,

On the Nissan are they stealing the entire headlight assembly or just the bulbs?

Sounds like the owner needs to sit on the porch with the .44 Magnum.

When my brother got a 77 Electra Park Avenue with chrome wheels, when the alarm would sound off at 3am, he'd run out the door - gun in hand.