3800 RWD Questions

Page 2 of 2

It still came in some Firebirds.

Not putting 3800's in pickups may have been one of GM's biggest missed opportunities. But then the buyer just might never need a new one;) s

One major difference to consider is the intake manifold. The FWD cars, the supercharged and think the N/A as weel, the throttle body is at the rear of the engine (relative to the crank). This is fine in the FWD application...it just goes above the transmission and puts the airbox in there somewhere. For a RWD application the TB is usually in front. In other GM cars the supercharger would interfere with the firewall. Might be possible to flip it around with a custom manifold and pulley arrangement, as the S/C is driven by a shaft from in front of the engine.
I'd suggest sticking to the Camaro/Firebird 3800. Make sure you can tell the difference between a 3400 and a 3800. I don't remember which years had which, but the 3400 is clearly inferior, and 60 degree vs. 90.
Peace, Harry