3800 V6 - What is this?

I have a 98 Park Avenue with 55K miles on it. Because of the infamous intake manifold leak associated with these engines I keep a close eye on it for
coolant leaks. Today while I was inspecting my engine compartment I noticed a small metal cover about four inches long and about two inches high with two 8mm bolts through it on the rear end of the intake manifold directly below the area where the metal EGR hose enters the intake manifold. There seems to be some seepage around it and the substance appears to be oil. Can anyone tell me what this thing is and whether it part of the intake manifold leakage problem. Thanks.
Don R wrote:

No, this cover is not part of the problem. I'm not sure what this cover is for, I suspect that in some other configuration, it's used as a port for coolant flow. It's not uncommon tho for it to develop some leakage.
Where you want to keep an eye for leakage is around the perimeter of the plastic intake. As soon as you get either oil or coolant appearing there, I'd be updating the upper plenum and lower manifold as soon as possible.
Ian

When mine cratered, there was never a leak that you could see externally. It went without warning, and the coolant went into the cylinders, I guess.
The shop which performed the repairs said that I had no coolant in the oil, and didnt change it, but I changed it just to be sure. There WAS a little coolant in the oil, but apparently not enough to hurt anything.
Thanks Ian for your response. I'm real curious about the purpose of that cover but glad to hear that it isn't part of the bigger problem. I'll keep an eye on it and also the plastic plenum. If you find out what the purpose of that cover is I'de like to know. Thanks again.