3800 variants?

Page 3 of 3
Me wrote:

Except for one critical part. The timing gear. I'm sorry, but teflon and plastic gear isn't my idea of proper. The camshaft button on them is also teflon, so when it wears down, the spring on it grinds a hole in the timing cover. Turns out this needs to be replaced as often as a typical belt - or done once with metal replacement parts.
Which model year has plastic gear? or timing gear problem?

(My
typical
I've *never* had this problem, on any of my 3800s. When did GM go to metal? I've used a 87 model, and two 89 models (one which I still use), as I posted before, all with at least over 165,000 Miles (One was over 200,000), and never replaced any timing components... My current Park Ave (89) has had 50,000 of fairly hard driving in the past year or so, and, as I said, the worst that I've had to do was an O2 sensor, and the front motor mount is due to be changed. (I'm not including oil changes, brakes, spark plugs/wires, or the like, which I consider maintence items, not repairs.)

(My
typical

Actually there is more than that..... 3.8-3 Original (86-91) 3.8-C Original (86-91) 3.8-L Series I NA (92-94) 3.8-1 Series I SC (92-95) 3.8-K Series II NA (95-03) 3.8-1 Series II SC (96-03) 3.8 Series III (04+) These are just the FWD versions too.
--

Sincerely, Alan Ralston
--

Yep. The Buick V6 is over 40 years-old.
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:44:34 GMT, "DeathRat"

Many thanks for this. Any idea what the "NA" and "SC" stand for?
And perhaps the C, L, and K as well?
Thanks again!
Rick
@yahoo.com says...

Nice break down on the list.

na & sc - Short hand for Naturally Aspirated and Super Charged c l & k are just engine codes assigned by GM.

Ah, OK, thanks. Now I feel dumb as I should have caught that.

Gotcha.
Thanks again!
Rick
Pardon me for what may be a ridiculous question, but what is the difference engine-wise between FWD and RWD? Isn't one just turned sideways from the other? So maybe the mounting points are different. But wouldn't all the differences be in the transmission vs. transaxle?

Theres more to it than that. The intake facing the other direction is one of them. When F-bodies started using 3800's Series II engines they used a aluminum plenum facing the front of the engine. All the FWD cars used plastic plenum facing the rear of the engine. Coolant routing, exhaust routing, and a number of other things would be different as well. The block on the fwd versions dont have a bolt hole where the transmission mounts tapped out because its not needed. The rwd versions would have it tapped. If you ever see a 3800 shortblock thats one way of telling them apart.
says...

Great answer. Thanks!

I'm not up on all this but I swear the owners manual in my 94 Delta 88 LSS says it's a 3800 series II ???

Forum)

Actually DeathRat, you ought to know the Vin 3 was only used in 87, and the Vin C was 88-91
--

Sincerely, Alan Ralston