4.2L 6CYC VORTEC ENGINE

I have a 2005 ISUZU Ascender, which is a somewhat disguised Trailblazer/Envoy. It has the 4.2L 6cyc Vortec engine. Other than drinking gas by the gallons, the engine seems to run
very smooth. I'm curious if any reader here has comments about this engine?
juanalong wrote:

I'd rate it as a very good engine. We literally do "nothing" to this engine. It does suffer from the piston knock that some other GM engines have, but for some reason, very few customers complain about it.
Ian
Probably because the engine fan drowns out the noise

The 4.2 in my '04 van had a leaking front cover gasket and it still has an undiagnosed vibration. I've demoted General Motors to Private Motors.
NickySantoro wrote:

What's your engine code?
Ian

NickySantoro wrote:

8th digit/letter in your VIN.
Ian

NickySantoro wrote:

That's the 4.3 v-6. Not the same engine we are talking about in this thread.
Ian
The 8th digit in my VIN is the letter "S". What will that tell me?
shiden_kai wrote:

juanalong wrote:

That you have the all-aluminum inline 6 cylinder 4.2 engine.
Ian