4.3 engine swaps

I am looking for some information on 4.3 engine swaps. My bro in law needs one for a 96 S10 4x4. From what i did find, it should be a least a 96 on up.
96 was obd2 and had the crank sensor. so, 96, 97 would be a direct swap.
From there, it get a little confusing. I heard something about the bell housing or bolts are different in some of the newer years>? also, something about the EGR changed? Would it be possible to use a 98+ by swapping accessories?
Any tips on whats the same and whats not?
bob
bob urz wrote:

You need 96/97 if you don't want to change other parts. The EGR difference is that the 96/7 have a tube that runs from the manifold up to the intake to feed the EGR valve. The later engines don't use this. They also have balance shafts and difference sensors.
The bell housings are all the same. They all take the same pattern just like the small block.
You could use the later engines, however you would need to change the ECM as well. That isn't real hard.
--
Steve W.